Almost the last day

CB on the run

Almost the last day

Postby CB on the run » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:26 am

Hard hunting this year.  This one showed up around 10:30 today.  About 75 yards with my ML.

CB

fasteddie

RE: Almost the last day

Postby fasteddie » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:14 pm

Nice going , Congrats ! Nice deer .
I was down in Mendon from 6 - 10 am and was frozen stiff when I left . The field I walked through to get to the blind had tracks all over it plus , even in the darkness , I could see where deer had been bedding down . I never saw a thing . Went back to the car to get warm and left . In the daylight I could see the deer beds all over the place .
On the way home I stopped at another spot . I walked all over the place and saw quite a few tracks but no deer . Even though I took it slow , I worked up a sweat . The place is a property where some guys built a Moto-Cross Track and has trails all over it . I checked one of the trails that is about 150 yards from the house . I was looking for a tree to relocate a stand to this coming summer plus looking at the brush piles for any possible deer . I heard a noise and caught a glimpse of movement over my left shoulder . A doe was hauling butt on a parallel trail . Never got a shot but it was great just to see a deer . This was around 12:30 pm . Tomorrow is the last day of ML so I plan to go back . I would have stayed longer today but I had worked up a sweat and when I started cooling down it got cccccccccccccold !
Semper Fi !

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:44 pm

Fast Eddie,
  I feel your frustrations. I've been in the same boat. I have been fortunant to connect during regular season though. 4th day of the season, later in the afternoon I Primos can called in 2 doe so I  dropped one at 38 yrds behind me. 20 minutes later a  spike with 9" antlers stood out in the field 90 yrds away. So down he went. 2 deer, 20 min., not bad. Now it's muzzleloader season and I'm trying to get my 1st buck with the ML. Yesterday, I saw 3 bucks and 5 doe in less than 30 min. The 1st set was the buck, a doe, and yearling. Everytime the buck or doe stopped out in the field, they were behind  a tree or bush, so alas, no shots at them. 1/2 hour later 3 doe and 2 bucks came out of the scrub about 40 yrds away. I had to wait for them to come out where I could get a clear shot since there was tree branches in front of me. The wind was blowing wrong and I couldn't get them to stop cause they scented me. Tried a shot at one of the bucks but never touched him. Tomorrow is the last day, I plan on being out there, and hoping one of those horned ones show up again.
  In the woods where they have been rutting around for acorns, where the doe have peed, there is blood mixed in so you know what's going on. Found some out in the field too with buck tracks dogging the doe tracks.
  One thing I have run into the last couple of days is wind direction. According to weatherbug when they say the wind is NW, plan on it being the opposite. I sat there tonight with my scent blowing across the field again that I am watching and all these deer have shown up in. Figure this, I am setting there looking at the sun setting in the west which means it should be hitting me in the face and blowing my scent back in the woods, except it's hitting from my back which means it's from the NE. Must be their NW direction is different from mine.
  CB, nice critter taken with the ML. Congrats That's what makes it worthwhile to be out there.
There's nothing like being in the outdoors. Work is boring!

active NWTF member

NRA member

Hardwater nut

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:53 am

CB Congrats on the buck!

Fasteddie and Stormshooter, best of luck to you guys in the closing days.

The northern zone season has been close and let me tell you what, I have been lost haha. I was fortunate enough to take a 6pt and a doe to close out my season though.
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:04 am

Nothing wrong with that buck, CB. Congratulations on a nice late-season trophy!

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

metrx

Postby metrx » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:26 am

Test

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:09 am

I went out a few times with the bow...got a late start one after noon and nearly busted by 2 big doe and two fawns ....waited them out and then watched as they circled me....couldn't get into stand so I stood under it....they  split and one doe and fawn came into the turnips....35yrds away....I had a shot but it was getting late and just wasn't feeling comfortable with it so I stayed until after dark and they finally left.....too busy since still thinking about this afternoon....haven't seen a good sized buck for a couple of weeks ...but the tracks and new rubs are everywhere...already stoked about this coming years hunt [:D].....
                                [size="4"]Happy Holidays
                                      &
                     Have A Great New Year
[/size]

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:08 pm

I was out today for the last hunt of the season . Was out from 11:30 am to almost 5 pm . Didn't see a thing . Put the ATV away and took care of most of my hunting gear . I still have to clear the barrel of my ML . Maybe I will stop over to the range tomorrow . This was my worst year in a long time but Bow season is only about 10 months away . [:)]..[:)]..[:)]
Semper Fi !

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:30 am

ORIGINAL: fasteddie

but Bow season is only about 10 months away . [:)]..[:)]..[:)]

I like your style Fasteddie
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

Return to New York