Home made jerky

Got good taste? Share it with our readers!
Squirrelhawker

RE: Home made jerky

Postby Squirrelhawker » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:04 am

I prefer cut jerky rather thn ground. We like it thin and dried until it will bend without snapping.

I make my own marinade pretty much like I a make meatloaf- a little of this a little of that. Liquid smoke, Franks hot sauce and worchesterchire are some of the main components. I use a commercial dehydrator, their cheap and pretty much fool proof. And I never seem to make enough...

bowbrown

Postby bowbrown » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:31 am

Deer Camp
Yes you can thaw out burger and make jerky. Thaw out put into a bowl mix in garlic powder, black pepper, red pepper flake( if you want more heat) molasses, worchester sauce, liquid smoke, onion powder, and what ever else you want, mix real good and let sit in frig overnite. The pepper and molasses make a sweet and hot mix. Now you could either buy a jerky shooter or roll the meat out on counter with rolling pin to about 1/4 inch and cut into strips with knife or pizza cutter. Put onto some sort of cookie cooling rack or drying rack that air can on all sides of meat. Put tin foil on bottom of oven to help clean up. Set oven to 200 deg put meat in and crack door of oven. Cant remember the exact cooking time just keep an eye on it the first time you do it, might need to flip meat to get an even dry. Cook until browned on outside and somewhat flexible to the touch. Make a couple small batches to see what you prefer. ENJOY

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:34 am

I was gonna make some in my smoker but never tryed it this way. has anyone made jerky in the smoker? I have an electric smoker, have read that 150-160 degrees is what its says, but how long. Plus with the cold weather now even longer??? I've done fish in the smoker but its been a while since I did anything else.

Thanks

Lot to Learn 2

Postby Lot to Learn 2 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:06 pm

I've got 2 batches in the oven right now. I like the ground meat and jerkey shooter method myself, although it someone else is making it I will take all the dehydrated jerky you want to give me.  I use basically 3 different recipies , a maple syrup, a garlic, and a spicy, and sometimes I mix the garlic and spicy.  I make the mix myself, something I pulled off the internet several years ago and have tweaked over the years. I leave the oven door shut at 200 75 minutes and then flip for 60 minutes, however I am thinking I left for 75 minutes after flipping also, I will have to see here in a while, first batch of the year, can't remember. 

TFin04

Postby TFin04 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:19 am

I also use ground meat in a dehydrator with commercial seasoning, though I'm looking for ways to reduce my dependance on the store bought spices.

My dehydrator is Nesco, and I bought a "jerky gun" to spread it. Mix the meat, spread on the trays, and let it sit overnight. Morning brings delicious jerky.

I do it a lot with lean ground beef if I am out of ground venison.

jerseyhunter

Postby jerseyhunter » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:04 am

After you marinate your venison strips put a toothpic in one end and suspend from your oven racks(put foil on the bottom to catch drippings), set the oven for the lowest setting and prop the door open slightly. Start checking for doneness after about 5-6 hours. You want them to bend slightly not brittle and break.

Previous

Return to Recipes