30-06 close range

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
berudd

RE: 30-06 close range

Postby berudd » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:41 am

I recovered one bullet with the 30/30. Well, I should say I recovered parts of a bullet with the 30/30. It was a Winchester Silvertip 170 gr. I don't recall exactly what it hit but based on the fact it was in several peices thatt is when I stopped using the Silvertips.

boxcallkid

Postby boxcallkid » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:54 pm

After almost four decades with the same -06 I've never killed a deer over fifty yds my whole life. Even though my rifle lacks the velocity like most rifles because of the 18in barrel I've always shot the 180 gr rd sp and seems to do the trick. I did recover one bullet many years ago that was lodged on the opposit side of the entry hole, packed up like a softball between the deers hide and his ribcage. Why I don't know, I still practice out to 200 yds every year thinking it could happen but it never does. Do you think it could be bow hunter itis?
Like gramps used to say, "Why is it there's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over?"

stiab

Postby stiab » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:15 am

My experience has been different from some of the posters above. I shot the deer pictured below directly broadside thru both lungs at a distance of 45 yards with a .30-06 150 grain Federal Hi-Shok bullet (their standard offering). The bullet stopped under the hide on the opposite side, and no blood trail was left for the 50 yards the deer ran. I think two holes is imperative for blood trails on those instances when tracking is required, so swithched to the 180 grain, and for the most part now get two holes. I sight my rifle in at 70 yards, because that's how far away I am most likely to see a deer. In my experience, the heavier bullet will be more likely to penetrate all the way thru the deer leaving a second hole to promote external bleeding.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:11 am

ORIGINAL: stiab

My experience has been different from some of the posters above. I shot the deer pictured below directly broadside thru both lungs at a distance of 45 yards with a .30-06 150 grain Federal Hi-Shok bullet (their standard offering). The bullet stopped under the hide on the opposite side, and no blood trail was left for the 50 yards the deer ran. I think two holes is imperative for blood trails on those instances when tracking is required, so swithched to the 180 grain, and for the most part now get two holes. I sight my rifle in at 70 yards, because that's how far away I am most likely to see a deer. In my experience, the heavier bullet will be more likely to penetrate all the way thru the deer leaving a second hole to promote external bleeding.

First of all, very nice buck. Congratulations! Is his right antler normal? I can't tell whether that's a leaf at the end, or if it's antler with the main beam partially covered by dirt/sod.

"I think two holes is imperative for blood trails...." I would agree with that completely. Often deer don't bleed much through an entrance wound.

I don't think it's necessary to sight in for 70 yards, as opposed to 100. Point of impact won't vary much.

I'm surprised that the 150 grain bullet didn't give you a complete pass through. There should be plenty of energy there. I think that was a fluke. I almost always get complete pass through from everything I've shot deer with from .222 Rem. to .30-06.

Good post stiab, and welcome to the D&DH forums.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

stiab

Postby stiab » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:11 am

Thanks for the welcome and kind words. That is a leaf on the ground. His last point on that side is a little hard to see because it was directly facing the camera. I'm glad to have found this forum, and have already learned a few things over on a decoy thread!

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:09 pm

I have another question about Close-up shooting with a 30-06 or a .270 WSM Rifle,guess it doesn't matter too much on the caliber but more on where to aim on a Deer thats very close (say around 10-25 yards away)?I sight my Rifles out to 100 yards dead-on the target I don't sight them at 1 or 2 inches high like most reccomend since like most on here I usually have Deer come in anywhere from 50-75 yards away all though I have shot several Deer out to around 100-125 yards at the most so far,for me I just haven't had the opportunity to shoot a Deer 200 plus yards away and probably wouldn't push that far a shot anyways?

So what I'm trying to say is if You sight your Rifle out at 100 yards and a Deer runs up on You at a close range do you aim high or low on their bodies vital area?Sounds silly but I've never sighted my Rifle's out to 100 yards then took a shot at close range? [&:] [8|]

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:35 pm

Aim dead center. There isn't enough rise in the bullet path to miss on a deers vital area.

SHKYBoonie

Postby SHKYBoonie » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:49 pm

This is simple laws of physics. A one ounce lead weight compared to a 5 ounce lead weight moving at roughly the same feet per second. The 5 oz. lead weight will have more stored energy because of its weight, there for it will penetrate deeper. All store bought 30-06 bullets are going to have roughly the same powder charge regardless of bullet weight. the 150 gr. bullet will have a bit flatter trajectory than a 180 gr. bullet and it will also have more velocity because it takes less energy to move a lighter weight bullet. With this being said, there are plus and minuses to each bullet. The 150 gr. will give you better shot placement at distances of 200 yards and beyond because it flies flatter to the target. Because this bullet weighs less it will be impacted more by obstacles in the path of flight. At close ranges in thick cover, a heavier bullet is best. This bullet can hit a leaf, blade of grass, bone and even a small twig without it effecting its flight enough to matter. A smaller bullet will deflect greatly with any obstructions at all. With that said, none of them will shoot through a sizable obstruction and still hit a target and any of them will kill deer with the right shot placement. If I hunt heavy cover where I know I will not get a shot at more than 50 to 75 yards, I go with a heavy bullet. This also applies to arrow weights too. The heavier the arrow, the better the penetration.

I have shot deer at close ranges with a .270 140 gr. bullet through both lungs and they still ran over 500 yards. The bullet is moving so fast at the time of impact that it has very little time to expand. Alot of times it will leave the same size hole coming out as it made going in. This is where a heavier bullet makes up the difference.

ORIGINAL: GTOHunter

I have another question about Close-up shooting with a 30-06 or a .270 WSM Rifle,guess it doesn't matter too much on the caliber but more on where to aim on a Deer thats very close (say around 10-25 yards away)?I sight my Rifles out to 100 yards dead-on the target I don't sight them at 1 or 2 inches high like most reccomend since like most on here I usually have Deer come in anywhere from 50-75 yards away all though I have shot several Deer out to around 100-125 yards at the most so far,for me I just haven't had the opportunity to shoot a Deer 200 plus yards away and probably wouldn't push that far a shot anyways?

So what I'm trying to say is if You sight your Rifle out at 100 yards and a Deer runs up on You at a close range do you aim high or low on their bodies vital area?Sounds silly but I've never sighted my Rifle's out to 100 yards then took a shot at close range? [&:] [8|]

Most of the time you can just hold on center. The bullet isn't going to rise or fall all that much. But, to answer your question, on most big game cartridges you would hold high on a close shot if you centered your rifle in at 100 yards. The reason for this is, the bullet actually drops before it starts to rise. It is kinda like a well hit drive of a golf ball. If you watch it close enough, you will see it actually drop some before it starts to get some loft. This is the reason most golf tees are built on mounds and not level with the fairway. If you sight your rifle in at 100 yards, chances are it hasn't even started to drop yet. At 125 yards or so, it may even be a little high. At 50 yards it will be around an inch or so low. I have shot the same rifle now for over 15 years. It is a 7MM Mag and I know how it shoots from 10 yards to over 500 yards. I have all the confidence in the world with this gun. Generally, where I hunt, if I can see it, I can kill it!
Hunt as though your life depended on it, because one day it just might!

rem700

Postby rem700 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:29 am

you can go to winchester.com they have a balistic comp. charts to look at diff round to see the raise and fall of a bullet at diff ranges and weights.
Robert

KYdeer88

Postby KYdeer88 » Mon May 24, 2010 4:51 pm

Hey guys first post here. Heres a pic of a 30-06 150gr remington core lok I dug out of my 08 buck. sorry the pic is so big. The deer was shot at 120yrds. I know its not close range but it gives a good idea of how the bullet mushroomed out. This round has done well in my model 70 and I have never had one run far...

PreviousNext

Return to Guns and Ammo