One buck rule

dougdeweydutchmen

One buck rule

Postby dougdeweydutchmen » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:52 am

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are about the one buck rule. Personally, I think its great. I have seen more big bucks in the last 5 or so years then I have seen in the last 20 so I hope it stays.

paulie

RE: One buck rule

Postby paulie » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:42 am

I wouldnt mind seeing a "one buck" rule implemented here in Michigan!

Bluegrass Archer

Postby Bluegrass Archer » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:55 pm

I love it. Indiana has great potential for mature bucks. I actually wish theyd do a little more to help these bucks reach maturity. One thing id really like is for the gun tag, instead of buck only; make it 1 buck or 1 doe. That way if you really want a buck your going to have to make some choises with that tag. Also i wouldnt mind seeing an antler restriction like some other states have, i think too many fork horns get shot each year. I'm just dreaming here probably, but bottom line; the one buck rule is good in my books.
One does not hunt in order to kill, but one kills in order to have hunted.

14milecreekbucks

Postby 14milecreekbucks » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:47 pm

Without a doubt the 1 buck rule works great for those hunters after mauture bucks, over the last 3 years I've definately seen more mature whitetails (3 years or older) than I have in years past. I would attribute this in part to the one buck limit and gaining more knowledge and experience about hunting. As far a antler restriction goes I agree that many spikes and forkhorns don't get the chance to survive as they should, but also many of these young deer are harvested by new and youth hunters I would hate to tell a kid not to shoot just because the state says its not big enough. As someone who was raised hunting from an early age I'll be the first to admit I did not begin my hunting career taking trophy bucks.

arrow2512

Postby arrow2512 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:56 pm

I to like the 1 buck a year .But i think they need to cut back on the doe tags ,I've seen less doe's that last couple of years ,pluse the desease we had a couple of years ago didn't help either.Anyway back to the 1 buck a year , because I was getting tired of some hunters going out and shoot a big buck then go back out and shoot a smaller buck just for the meat .I guess they thought shooting a doe meant you weren't a hunter in there mines .

Bryan78

Postby Bryan78 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:06 pm

ORIGINAL: arrow2512

But I think they need to cut back on the Doe tags, I've seen less Doe's then the last couple of years.

Well it depends on where you primarily hunt.  I have seen alot more deer over these past few years and mostly all Doe's.  And besides, if people would hit less deer then the bonus anterless allowed per county would lessen since it is set up using mostly insurance claims out of that particular county.

Bryan78

Postby Bryan78 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:14 pm

I personally don't care for it as I see more Doe's then I do Buck's.  I really don't care how big its rack is since I hunt for the meat and not for the crown.  Don't get me wrong here, would I love to shoot a "Buck of a lifetime", absolutely, but I am more thankful for the food aspect then I am for the trophy aspect. 

dougdeweydutchmen

Postby dougdeweydutchmen » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:57 pm

ORIGINAL: Bryan78

I personally don't care for it as I see more Doe's then I do Buck's.  I really don't care how big its rack is since I hunt for the meat and not for the crown.  Don't get me wrong here, would I love to shoot a "Buck of a lifetime", absolutely, but I am more thankful for the food aspect then I am for the trophy aspect. 

Personally I think the people that say that they hunt for meat should shoot a doe instead of small bucks. You say you would love to shoot a buck of a lifetime but the odds of that happening are slim if you shoot young bucks. If you want to shoot a big buck you have to let the smaller buck go. It may take a few years of not filling you buck tag but thats the price you pay for going after the buck of a lifetime!

Bryan78

Postby Bryan78 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:03 pm

ORIGINAL: dougdeweydutchmen

ORIGINAL: Bryan78

Personally I think the people that say that they hunt for meat should shoot a doe instead of small bucks. You say you would love to shoot a buck of a lifetime but the odds of that happening are slim if you shoot young bucks. If you want to shoot a big buck you have to let the smaller buck go. It may take a few years of not filling you buck tag but thats the price you pay for going after the buck of a lifetime!

Well the old saying goes, "If I let him walk, the next person is gonna down him, so it might as well be me".  I have let smaller Bucks walk before.  But like I said, I don't care if there is anything on its head, whatever the good Lord puts in front of me, is what I am going to eat, as long as it isn't a fawn or a yearling.

arrow2512

Postby arrow2512 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:55 pm

I also have let smaller bucks walk under my stand then see them head for the woods next to me  then hear the  hunter unload there guns on them .Im not just talking about 1 or maybe 2 shots I 'm talking about unload on them so they can reload and start shooting again ,I don't know if they ever  find the deer but i never see them again .So what do you do as someone else here said if i let them walk someone else in the woods next to me will shoot them .

Next

Return to Indiana