Browning A-Bolt Slug Gun

Woods Walker

Browning A-Bolt Slug Gun

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:35 am

Does anyone shoot one? I have one, and wish I bought more of them, as I have people ask me all the time, 'What is that?' and 'Where can I get one?'

I've heard it described as the "right gun at the wrong time", in that it was ahead of it's time for the ammo that was available then, and many wouldn't pay $700 to $800 dollars for a deer shotgun, so it wasn't a commercial success.

They were stocked like a rifle and not shotgun, so your face was in the proper place on the stock for a rifle sight, and the trigger was a Browning A-Bolt rifle trigger, which is a tremendous assest for a shotgun.

Mine shoots the Winchester Partition Gold sabots quite well, and I've killed deer out to 150 yards with it.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

CB on the run

RE: Browning A-Bolt Slug Gun

Postby CB on the run » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:33 am

Yep, I shoot 3" Fed Barnes hollowpts. Think I have an old target showing the group somewhere. It's a tack driver. I don't like it for still hunting though because if you bump the bolt handle up slightly it takes the gun 'out of battery' and it will not fire until you return the handle all the way down.
Just bought the Savage 220F in the 20ga this fall. It needs more range time but is balanced great and has the accu-trigger. I like the box mag and the safety much better on the Browning.
It was definitely way ahead of it's time and only made from '96-'98. Still can find them but you'll pay dearly. I got mine for a 'song and a dance'.

CB

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:20 am

I've had that same issue with the bolt, although it's not a biggie for me, as I am constantly checking my safety anyway. I stillhunt most of the time with firearms, and I use one of those rubber sling thingies, which keeps the weapon at almost port arms position without me have to fully hold it.

Let me know if you find any more Brownings at the "song and dance" price!!! [:)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:33 pm

Uh...Mr. Door, do you realize that you have plagerized MY post verbatim??? That's even my sig line on the bottom!!!

Why the dishonesty? Are you Joe Biden or something???
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

CB on the run

Re: Browning A-Bolt Slug Gun

Postby CB on the run » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:41 am

The best production slug gun is back on the market, however, Browning has slightly missed the mark by NOT introducing a scaled down 20ga version. 20 ga. ammo took quantum leaps and IMO has the ability to be more accurate than 12ga due to a closer ratio of bore to bullet size and less plastic holding the projectile.
On a side note, I dumped my Savage 220F, due to ejection problems with the spent case. It was acurate though. I'm working on an Ithaca 20 ga project right now.

CB
CB on the run

Return to Slug Guns