Tips and Tricks For "Ground Pounders"

Share your tips and techniques on these great, but often times lost methods of hunting.
Challenger

RE: Tips and Tricks For "Ground Pounders"

Postby Challenger » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:08 pm

ORIGINAL: ahmontana2

One thing I like to do is cut a tree branch and hold it in front of me when I'm on a still hunt . From what I have seen deer have very poor depth perception but can pick up movment and objects. They seem to have a hard time with telling what I am when holding a branch in my face and when the time is right stick it in the ground and draw and shoot.I Hope that help's some one.

Well, I don't know how effective a branch in the face is, but, if you have a few extra bucks (money) you might consider RealTreeCamo.

There are none so blind as those who will not see. Jonathan Swift, 1738

NRA Life Member

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:47 am

LOL! Those camo ads always get to me!

They show them in COLOR, to fool the HUNTER...not the deer.

If you want to see how a deer see's it, then show the photo in black and white. They won't, because a fair majority of that designer camo, or "Redneck Gucci", looks like a dark blob from a distance or from a ground view if you look up.

And NO camo made will obliterate the human outline unless the physical nature of the garment itself doesn't conform to the human shape.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:59 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

LOL! Those camo ads always get to me!

They show them in COLOR, to fool the HUNTER...not the deer.

If you want to see how a deer see's it, then show the photo in black and white. They won't, because a fair majority of that designer camo, or "Redneck Gucci", looks like a dark blob from a distance or from a ground view if you look up.

And NO camo made will obliterate the human outline unless the physical nature of the garment itself doesn't conform to the human shape.

You tell em' WW! :-)
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:36 am

ORIGINAL: ChuckNorris

Even the best still hunters will jump a deer from time to time. The key is to "jump" them, not "run" them. I have harvested several deer after "jumping" them by using a retreat type technique. If you "jump" a deer in heavy cover don't go over it. It is already spooked and you risk making this deer "run". I have found that a "jumped" deer in heavy cover will not go very far at all. Know the property you are hunting!!! Predict where the deer will go. Many times they will lay down for a couple hours if it is the middle of the day. Set yourself up on a clear shooting lane that you expect the "jumped" deer to cross and be patient. I prefer this lane to be 50-100 yards from where I "jumped" the deer. Best success seems to be late afternoon when the "jumped" deer begins to head towards their feeding area. Just remember don't get discouraged after "jumping" a deer. You now have the advantage because you know its location. I have even gone to lunch and returned in the afternoon to setup on a deer that I jumped in the morning. And I shot that deer less than 100 yards from where I jumped it hours earlier after it got up from laying in the thick woods because I didn't proceed after it.

This is a good one. I jump deer from time to time when Im on the stalk. I will let the deer run a little and most times it will stop and turn broadside to see what jumped it. Then I take my shot.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

scotman

Postby scotman » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:54 pm

This is a good one. I jump deer from time to time when Im on the stalk. I will let the deer run a little and most times it will stop and turn broadside to see what jumped it. Then I take my shot.

They sure will had a nice 8 pointer do that this season. He was bed at a top of a gulley. When I jumped him I stood motionless and he proceeded to feed.  If it wasn't for him seeing my try to stealth closer I could have took him but did not want to risk the shot.

Still hunting on damp and rainy days is best for beginners. I tie a thread to my bow riser to keep track of the wind. I always hunt with the wind in my face. I think foot placement is critical when stalking and still hunting deer. You want you feet evenly spread apart to avoid losing your balance. I set my heel down first into the leaves and slowly put my weight onto that foot. If you feel resistance it is usually a twig under the leaves. Either you back your foot off or if your good enough you can tell if the twig is fresh fallen or if it is spongy. If it is spongy (rotten) you can get away with stepping on it. It is really truly an art. Balance is critical especially when you keep your eyes scanning for any movement instead of where your placing your feet. Your feet are feeling your path so to speak. When you can sneak through the woods without making hardly any noise on a dry fall day your getting the hang of it.The trick is to keep your eyes scanning instead of looking were your walking constantly. If you pay more attention to the ground you will miss a tip of an antler that was just visible behind that tree you just passed.
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

postman

Postby postman » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:40 am

LOL, Redneck Gucci! Now thats funny. I agree with you WW the only thing this camo hides you from is your hard earned cash. You'd be just as hidden wearing some light brown cargo pants and a plaid shirt, just like Fred Bear used to wear. In my opinioin a ghillie suit is the only way to go on the ground.
It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

bowman12

Postby bowman12 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:32 am

Still huntging is an art, no doubt! I've had zero success at it so far.

Good advice! One thing I'll add is I read that you shouldn't ever try to be in a position so you can't shoot, makes sense because you never know when you're going to get a shot. I also watched a guy, video, still hunt a big buck one time and he took his boots off and walked in his wool socks, thought that was pretty cool. You could really "feel" your steps alot better I'd think.

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:04 am

"I also watched a guy, video, still hunt a big buck one time and he took his boots off and walked in his wool socks, thought that was pretty cool. You could really "feel" your steps alot better I'd think."

Your definitely right about being able to feel your steps  with this technique. I've read a few online articles on still hunting and stalking and this was one of the techniques offered. Additionally, the articles suggested moccasins and old running shoes as potential footwear while hunting on the ground.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:49 am

I've talked with other hunters who have used tennis shoes while still hunting, they claim you can move like a ghost with a pair of shoes. probably doesn't work in areas covered in snow since you would freeze your feet. I like to use the lightest and most comfortable footwear.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:07 am

I use old fashioned Converse high top "sneakers", that are a full size bigger than my normal shoe. I can get a couple pair of socks on, and/or a Thisulate bootie. They are not good for wet conditions, and I use Bean's Maine Hunting Shoe for that.

Next year, if my work picks up, I have my eye on some Carl Dyer handmade moccasin boots. Not cheap (just under $400), but built FOR THE PURPOSE OF STILLHUNTING, and they can be resoled.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

PreviousNext

Return to Ground Hunting, Still Hunting, and Stalking