deer sense of smell... mature vs. the immature

Vital Information is an educational resource from Deer & Deer Hunting. The CD contains hunting wisdom about shot placement, biology, physiology and ethics. How has it helped your hunt?
chucksniper

deer sense of smell... mature vs. the immature

Postby chucksniper » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:48 am

Hi all,
         This season was really bad between pressure in the woods and cyotes. After learning how to hunt and being diligent, I haven't nailed it down to where I'm totally confidant on top of other problems that I don't have control over... such as pressure of other people around me while I hunt. It seems that even though other people say they know how to hunt
but in reality they don't have a clue. Hey, let's face it, we're out for the trophy besides the meat, right folks?

My main reason for this post is about a Deers sense of smell. I recently watched a video about cyote hunting. The narrorator mentioned that deer can pick up human scent 6-700 yards away and changes it's course of travel. I read some articals about how much larger a deers olfactory organ is and has a much greater capacity, one thousands times larger, in size, than ours. Also can detect many more, "scents" than us.

Now the second point is this.... I take it that immature deer do not smell as well as Mature deer.

berudd

RE: deer sense of smell... mature vs. the immature

Postby berudd » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:49 am

Young deer probably have the same physical capability to detect scent but have not yet learned what scents they should be concerned with or are simply just more reckless than older deer.  Really, you could see the same behavior in humans.  Didn't we all do stuff as kids that we now look back on and realize how stupid we were?  Sometimes I am amazed I survived!

bowman12

Postby bowman12 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:08 am

Well said berudd!

chucksniper

Postby chucksniper » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:20 am

I'll buy that.[;)]

hookset6969

Postby hookset6969 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:13 pm

Ya, To compare the nose of a 2.5yr old buck to a 4.5yr old buck is like apples and orange's, But they both taste good.

chucksniper

Postby chucksniper » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:37 pm

That was helpful[8|]???[sm=rolleyes.gif]

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:15 am

As stated, they smell the same stuff. Its the learned behavior of the older deer that separates them.
I would think that some younger deer are farther along than others because of their individual experiences and also what they have picked up from their mother.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

chucksniper

Postby chucksniper » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:55 am

I'll go with young deer undeveloped brain.

berudd

Postby berudd » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:17 pm

no, their brains are fully developed, they just lack the experience that comes with maturity.

chucksniper

Postby chucksniper » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:46 pm

What do you have to back this assumption up?

Next

Return to Vital Information