Savage 20ga Bolt action

Coach20wins

RE: Savage 20ga Bolt action

Postby Coach20wins » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:41 am

Corey,

Hi. CB on the Run posted the exact info I was talking about from the TarHunt site. How to hold a rifled shotgun to best effect. I do find it works. When I shoot a centerfire rifle off a bench, my left forearm is underneath, almost parallel to the barrel and action, with my left hand holding a sandbag rear rest. No hold or pressure on the fore end.

I'll see if it's possible to post some pictures, but not sure I can figure it out. You may see some weird posts until I do.

I'm picking up 10 more boxes of Federal Barnes Tipped Expanders tonight, and will likely shoot up 2 or 3 of them this weekend. This will be the last hurrah before gun opener on December 5th.

I have the camo stock and don't like it all that much. It seems too light colored to me. Wish it were darker overall. There used to be a camo pattern around called Timber Ghost. I really liked it. Looked like trees to me. Too bad that's not available. Or maybe a nice multi colored laminate stock.

Coach

NYSupersportsman

Postby NYSupersportsman » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:33 am

I will own one of these guns within the next 6 months or so.  I asked my family for gift cards to a local gun shop for xmas and I am asking for the same thing for my birthday. After that and a trade in of one of my other slug guns I should have enough to not put much up out of pocket. I went yesterday to get a price and they didnt have any on hand but he said he would charge me 419.00 + 20.00 for shipping. But if they get any in it will be just 419.00. I will prolly buy a bushnell elite 3200 3-9x40 or I was also looking at a nikon slughunter... They are within 30.00 of eachother. I am excited!! Let me know how the shooting goes. and what slugs to buy. So far it looks like the barnes expanders and the remington accutips are the way to go.

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:13 am

So far it's been a pretty fair shooter but I don't have the range time I like into this gun. I picked up some Rem. Accutips but they are 2 3/4". I would like to try 3" also. I want to point out that this gun is built on Savage's 110 LONG action so to eject a spent hull you need to cycle the action completely or the hull will stay in the chamber opening and a second round will not chamber. That bolt handle seems like it's going to poke you in the face when you do it properly.
Nikon's are great scopes and I'm sorry that I have a Burris on mine. Burris changed their scopes so instead of a magnification ring, the whole end of the scope turns. This isn't a problem unless you use scope caps like I do. So if you want to change the magnification, the scope cap swivles also which interfers with your sight picture or pokes you in the cheek.
I didn't get to harvest a deer with this gun yet but I did 'break in' a new rifle and muzzleloader this season however deer sightings were dramatically lower than prior years. Good luck!

CB

p.s. That is a very good price. I paid $470 plus tax for mine.

CB on the run

RE: Savage 20ga Bolt action-Updated

Postby CB on the run » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:11 am

I changed the scope again to a Redfield 3X9.  I'm pleased with the initial assement of this new scope.  Time will tell on how it holds up.  This past weekend, all I could shoot was 60 yards with the 220F & new scope.  I purchased 3 box of the Hasting Laser-accurate slugs that got rave reviews in a recent article about their accuracy out of the 220F.  My opinion-save your money.  My groups with these slugs reminded me of my smooth bore days.  The 2 3/4" Rem accu-tips shot alright but I'm right back to the Federal/Barnes combo that shot a 1" group(remember only 60 yards) dead center & 1 1/2" high.  It should be right on at 100. I was using a bore snake every 4-5 shots saturated with Gunzilla.

CB

NYSupersportsman

Postby NYSupersportsman » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:18 pm

I have been going back and forth on what to do for a 20 gauge slug gun and I decided against the 220F for now. Instead I bought a rifled barell for my browning BPS 20 ga. that I won at a gun raffle a few years back.  I have always been a pump gun kind of guy and I am very fond of my BPS so I am looking forward to getting it set up with my new Nikon 3-9x40 Slughunter.  I think it will be a great setup! I still like the idea of the savage but I might give it a few years and try it then.

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:20 am

I have a couple suggestions for your gun.  I would have it drilled and tapped instead of a cantilever or saddle mount if you decide on a scope.  If the gun will be a dedicate slug gun only, I would have the barrel permenantly pinned.  You should be able to have a gunsmith drill and tap it with a removable pin(machine screw) as a second suggestion.  All these will lead to slightly enhance accuracy.  Check the rate of twist in the barrel for which sabots to try.  A slower rate of twist like 1:35 will usually require a slower round like a Lightfield or the new Fusion.  A faster rate like 1:24 or so will stabilze a quicker round.  Good luck.

CB

NYSupersportsman

Postby NYSupersportsman » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:44 am

thanks for the tips! Unfortunately the cantilever was my only option... So that cant be changed but I have contemplated pinning the barrel but not this year since I have spent enough on the barrel and scope.... I will check the twist tho and make my ammo choices based off of that!

Previous

Return to Slug Guns