Cuddeback vs Moultrie

buckhunter21

RE: Cuddeback vs Moultrie

Postby buckhunter21 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:06 am

JBow, great picture!

Where are you getting your Bushnell cams at, and what are you pricing them at?  I just use one right now...Moultrie D40.  It's OK..Does what I want it to do.  I would like to switch to an infrared but Moultrie I is about $200.  I can get two D40s for this price.
QDM!

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:47 pm

Amazon has the Bushnells for $160. That's the best price I've seen. I was looking at getting one the other day, but haven't made the purchase yet.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

2tonyb

Postby 2tonyb » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:11 pm

I recently upgraded (i hope) my small fleet of cameras.  I added 1 moultrie i-40, 2 moultrie d-40s, and 1 moultrie i-60.  I just got them out in the field a couple of days ago.  All were easy to set up, and I've got a solar charger coming soon. 
I read many many reviews before making my decision.  I was surprised to read so much negative about Cuddebacks.  If I really took the advice of the review, I would buy NONE of them.  There are a couple of different "independent" review sites that helped me the most. 
I had good luck with stealth cams.  My brother has sent both of his back more than once. 

Buckhunter21...check out walmart.com for a pretty good deal on the moultrie I-40. I didn't know that wm sold trail cams until recently.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:55 pm

Like 2tonyb mentioned...you can get some good prices at Wal-Mart of several different trail camera's,even though they may not have them in stock in your home town you can order one on the .net from site to store!I did buy another Moultrie I-60 just before Christmas thru BassProshop and got it for $200.00 + $20 off gift card so I got a very nice I-60 from 180.00 + tax.You can also buy the bigger solar charges for certain newer Moultrie Camera's for around $49.00 from Wal-Mart and most other places are all $79.99.

Here's another Site I found that checks out the new trail camera's and gives reviews on them and also sells them too. 
www.trailcampro.com 

JBow...."Awesome Looking Buck" You got there!

bwhntr2

Postby bwhntr2 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:01 am

I am glad to see this topic. I have 2 of the Cuddeback IR cameras. One has always worked great, the other one is a different story. It ate batteries like I like chocolate.They were lasting less than 3 days. Sent it back to the factory, it was sent back to me. Supposedly repaired, still not quite sure. It has been out since Thanksgiving. I will check both cameras this weekend, if I get a chance, busy Holidays. I think I am leaning towards the Moultrie I40. I like cameras with no flash. I still think that it does bother deer some. I have even seen them look at my IR Cuddebacks led's. Also, I have a small project that I am going to make to hold the cameras in place on a tree. Keep the reviews coming, I still have a few weeks before I will purchase.

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:01 am

ORIGINAL: buckhunter21

Hey Bart, what kind of rechargeables are you using with your cameras?  I haven'd had much luck with them.  I am using Energizer D 2500 mAh.

When shopping for rechargeable batteries look for ones with a higher mAh rating than 2500. Stock alkaline Energizers are like 11,500 mAh which is the amount of amp hours a battery holds meaning you want rechargeables that are as close to the Alkalines that you can find. They will be more expensive but will last a lot longer between charges. Even better for the Moultries is to buy an external battery with a higher mAh. Do some research online about rechargeable batteries, you'll be surprised how what you learn can help you save some money in the long run!

metrx

Postby metrx » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:01 am

I have (had) the Moultrie I40.  Before it was stolen, I felt it took great, clear day and night photos.  I felt the infrared was a must in an effort not to spook game.  Only problem was the screen LEDs went in and out, maybe due to moisture. 

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:33 pm

ORIGINAL: 69Viking

ORIGINAL: buckhunter21

Hey Bart, what kind of rechargeables are you using with your cameras?  I haven'd had much luck with them.  I am using Energizer D 2500 mAh.

When shopping for rechargeable batteries look for ones with a higher mAh rating than 2500. Stock alkaline Energizers are like 11,500 mAh which is the amount of amp hours a battery holds meaning you want rechargeables that are as close to the Alkalines that you can find. They will be more expensive but will last a lot longer between charges. Even better for the Moultries is to buy an external battery with a higher mAh. Do some research online about rechargeable batteries, you'll be surprised how what you learn can help you save some money in the long run!

Ya, I've had trouble finding anything higher than 2500 mAh.  Do you buy them online anywhere particular?  Really hard to find these in a store...
QDM!

Previous

Return to Scouting Cameras