Standing Corn?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
JPH

Standing Corn?

Postby JPH » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:50 am

I hung my stands yesterday, on the Iowa property that I hunt. It is basically a big, odd shaped crop field that draws deer like a magnet in the evenings. I have stands to watch the field on every wind direction.

This year it is in corn and is way behind. I have a feeling that it will remain standing through much of October. I will be hunting the early muzzleloader season (Oct. 11-19).

I'm open for advice on hunting standing corn. What tactics have you guys employed in this situation that have allowed you to succeed?

Woods Walker

RE: Standing Corn?

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:53 am

Here's what you do. Wait for a windy day.  The kind of day when you consider not hunting at all, because you'd get seasick up in the tree.

Approach a standing cornfield so that the wind is blowing down the rows, and not across them. Enter the field at one corner so that the wind is in your face.

S L O W L Y walk from row to row, pausing to look up each row as far as you can see. When you cross the field, walk UP WIND as far as you were able to see, and then enter the field and repeat. Do this all the way across the field.  If you see deer up ahead when you look down a row, back off a few rows, and then VERY SLOWLY work your way up the row until you are close enough for a shot. You may have to actually enter the row that they are in to shoot so you will have to use your judgement.

It's a fun, and different way to hunt. With a firearm your chances for success are much greater than with a bow.

A few tips:

Don't worry too much about any noise that you may make, as a ripe cornfield on a windy day is a FAR cry from walking on dry leaves.

When you look up each row, look for LEGS, and/or bodies of bedded deer. This is most definately a situation where you have to hunt with your EYES more than your feet. I actually use binoculars to look up each row for ANY small sign of deer, as this whole deal depends on you seeing them first. You also need to spend a lot of time on your knees. Knee pads would be a very helpful piece of gear for this.

If you know the fields, and their terrain, try to select one that has a swale, hump, or some other feature in the center of it that isn't planted. If you have one of these, you have a gold mine!

Good Luck!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:55 am

Oh...and one more thing....

MAKE SURE you have the OK from the landowner/farmer to go into an unharvested cropfield. For many farmer's, that's a BIG no-no.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:26 pm

i love having standing corn! i like to hunt field edges about 20-30 yards off the edge. still hunting as well as sitting in the rows can pay off as well. give it chance and use it to your advatange. i love to be the last farm with standing corn because of the cover it offers the deer.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:29 pm

I shot a buck a couple years ago who was bedding down in the middle of the corn field. there is a large tree in the middle of the field, and so there was an area of unplanted ground around the tree, as the farmer can only get just so close to the tree. he was bedding down in that grass under the tree in the middle of the field, shot him on an evening hunt from a tree stand on the edge of the field as he was leaving the field. that same year i shot a doe late season bow hunting in december out of stand in that tree in the middle of that same field. the corn in that field was terrible that year for harvesting and it was still standing in december. it was the only standing corn for miles, it filled up with deer in the evening, deer coming from all around to get the scraps still there.
like the other post said, windy days are fantastic for corn fields. he pretty much laid out the plan, thats exactly what i would do too, have done in fact, and do whenever i get a chance. the corn is late here too, im curious to see how the seasons play out with corn being late. and there is a lot more corn in our area than normal, there will be lots of corn field practice this year. good luck and stay vigilant, corn fields pay off big if you put in the effort.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:43 pm

I have walked the edge of the standing corn looking for the area where the deer are entering and exiting the corn find that spot walk into the woods or tall grass and hunker down with a good back drop and wait. Have seen a lot of bucks this way and 3 years ago had a dandy 10 point come to within 25 yards but wouldnt stop long enough for a shot.

ILBowhunter

Postby ILBowhunter » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:56 pm

Personally, I would not go into the standing corn to hunt, I would hunt any obvious travel routes in and out of the field.  Even if bucks are bedding in the field, I suspect that they will leave from time to time.  I have heard of the idea of still-hunting across the rows on windy days, looking down the rows before you step into them.  But in my experience bowhunting during early to mid-October, when the corn is still up in Illinois, I see far more deer that seem to be bedding in the usual areas and using the edge of corn fields to feed.  Besides, it would seem that the amount of noise that is created on a windy day would tend to drive deer out of a field into a place where their hearing is not so compromised by background noise.

So, I'd set stands so that deer walking the edge are shootable and windy or not I'd hunt them, not the corn field itself.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:03 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

I hung my stands yesterday, on the Iowa property that I hunt. It is basically a big, odd shaped crop field that draws deer like a magnet in the evenings. I have stands to watch the field on every wind direction.

This year it is in corn and is way behind. I have a feeling that it will remain standing through much of October. I will be hunting the early muzzleloader season (Oct. 11-19).

I'm open for advice on hunting standing corn. What tactics have you guys employed in this situation that have allowed you to succeed?
I'd hunt the down wind side of the corn field with a scent lure 25 yards on each side of my stand. Bucks will scent check the down wind edge of the field for hot doe's, and hopefully they will smell your lures. The late planting for most farmers is going to leave alot of corn un-harvested until later than normal this year. With all this rain we are getting this year its going to be interesting to see when they will be able to get in the fields for harvest.  Good luck!
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:50 pm

ORIGINAL: ILBowhunter

Personally, I would not go into the standing corn to hunt, I would hunt any obvious travel routes in and out of the field.  Even if bucks are bedding in the field, I suspect that they will leave from time to time.  I have heard of the idea of still-hunting across the rows on windy days, looking down the rows before you step into them.  But in my experience bowhunting during early to mid-October, when the corn is still up in Illinois, I see far more deer that seem to be bedding in the usual areas and using the edge of corn fields to feed.  Besides, it would seem that the amount of noise that is created on a windy day would tend to drive deer out of a field into a place where their hearing is not so compromised by background noise.

So, I'd set stands so that deer walking the edge are shootable and windy or not I'd hunt them, not the corn field itself.

So you've never actually tried hunting in standing corn on a windy day, but yet you are telling us what the deer will do in the standing corn? How do you know then?

Why don't you at least try it, and then give us an opinion?

Your ideas about what you have done on the edges of standing corn is appreciated, and at least for me, listened to.

I read a lot of things on these hunting forums about deer hunting. Some I can dismiss out of hand because I HAVE tried them, and have had marginal or no success. I may or may not comment on these, using the experience I had. If it's a method that I haven't tried, I will not say anything about it until I've at least tried it.

Let JPH make up his own mind about what he thinks will or won't work.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:40 am

We had standing corn on our northern property line all last year - into January.  We hunted inside the timber about 75 yards along travel routes.  Tried to get them coming and going in evenings and mornings.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Next

Return to Best Practices