tree saddles

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
the turkey guy

RE: tree saddles-ref. post #106

Postby the turkey guy » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:44 am

hi guys just a quick post the saddle killed me a great buck that i have been hunting for 4 years now. he came right up behind me and if it was not for the saddle he mostly like would have walked away again. here is the quick story and if you guys want pic's i will put them up, he is a one horned whopper thanks all Rob.Thanks everyone so much! Here is the fast story, and trust me it is true I have two witnesses to the whole thing. Got up again this moring didn't feel like going; sick both ears are full and one hell of a head cold but the boys were going so time to get up and get out there. Setup by 6:20 and hanging and tried like crazy not to cough. I must have bit my tongue 6 or 7 time before first light. Sounds funny but it works. Light comes up. Bunch of tree rats running around and then one came right up the tree and got half way up my leg and jumped for his life when he realized I could move. Ten minutes later crunch crunch right behind. I turned my head ever so slowly and right there was the biggest 9 pointer I've ever seen in my life. By the time I got with it he was already through the shooting lane I had. I pivot on the balls of my feet, look again and there's a nice 10 pointer followed by a really old, 1 horned beast. Line him up, whack, 6 yards later down he went and I only had to eat 2 tags this year. i like to thank everyone here and i have to say again damm i love the tree saddle that is one of the reasons i got a buck again this year thanks all happy new year and take care. PS this guy has no bottom teeth left how old do you think here is ?????

metrx

RE: tree saddles

Postby metrx » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:11 am

Looks like your legs would fall asleep after a short time.  Funny, I see Michael Waddel sponsoring it...have never seen him use one in his videos.
I'll stick with my climber.

theturkeyguy

Postby theturkeyguy » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:42 am

hay guys and girls, once again i don't post here very much, but once  again i feel it's worth put this up. So once again i must thank tyler from Trophyline. He told me to check out climbpaws. and all i can say is WOW up a tree to the 25 feet mark in 3mins 45 second. They are the thing that i think most saddle users have been waiting for,  i talk to the owner and he is a hard core saddle user. but in all honesty weather you use a saddle or not these steps are truely amazing thanks all rob. 

eberhaar863828

Postby eberhaar863828 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:55 am

I am curious as to what you use to get up the tree to 25ish feet. I am thinking about getting a Trophyline tree saddle and have been wondering about them for the last few months. I have also been looking at using either Muddy Sticks or Lone Wolf Sticks. Any ideas would be appreciated. 

Michigander

Postby Michigander » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:21 pm

eberhaar, been using lone wolf sticks for years. Absolutely love them, although for 25 foot you'll probably need a set of 5 or 6 sticks.

theturkeyguy

Postby theturkeyguy » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:10 am

https://www.climbpaws.com/productcart/pc/climbpaws-default.asp?

here you go the link to climbpaws thanks rob.

NCdeerguy

Postby NCdeerguy » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:58 am

[font="times new roman"]Quick intro, I'm new to the forum and glad I found it- great resource for hunters by hunters- great group of members here.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]On the topic of tree saddles, I have been using another tree saddle-like design called the Treesuit. It came out in the early 2000s and I've been using one for nine years now. The treesuit and tree saddle are fundamentally similar, but with the tree saddle being newer, it probably is more user-friendly and up to date. Anyhow, I love these because they enable you to take the "hit-and-run" approach to bowhunting. With my land situation, I have several small parcels that various folks across the state let me hunt on; none of them are huge parcels or farm lands where it's practical for me to hang stands ahead of time and do extensive post or pre-season scouting. Treesuits and Tree Saddles enable you to walk onto a piece of land and hunt it immediately, even if you've never set foot on it before. To get to the meat of their benefits, I'll just list them:[/font]
[font="times new roman"]1) Mobility- you wear it like a safety harness, so its light (again, just like wearing a harness) enabling you to walk effortlessly and quietly (no metal parts or any other components). [/font]
[font="times new roman"]2) Quick, silent setup- treesuits consist of fabrics and ropes- no metal clanging around, (except for the D-ring and clasp on the rope) as you climb and get situated. You can silently hunt a bedding area in the morning, then be set up quickly at a food source in afternoon with minimal effort and silence.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]3) Safe- it's designed to be a treestand and safety harness all in one, you can't fall out of it once you're set up in the tree.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]4) Greater range of motion/shooting directions- with a hang-on stand or climber, you're usually limited to shots directly in front of you, to your left side (if you're right-handed) and some to your right side, provided your safety harness tree attachment doesn't get in the way of your draw. With a treesuit your range of shooting option is 360 degrees. (another note: the treesuit attaches to the tree at waist level, eleminating interference with drawing).[/font]
[font="times new roman"][/font] 
[font="times new roman"]I also use it in conjunction with Lone Wolf's climbing sticks. After attaching the sticks I screw in two tree steps at the very top to serve as your standing platform. I'll stand up for shooting, then use them as the foot rest while sitting. BTW its always been comfortable for me sitting in these things. I've pulled a few all day hunts in it.[/font]
Jeremy from NC
Tree hoppin' 'cross state from the mtns of Wilkes to the swamps of Halifax

Michigander

Postby Michigander » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:18 am

Hey NC, nice to meet another tree suit user. I concure with everything you said about the suit. I've played with a saddle a little but am much more partial to the suit. Also use the lone wolf sticks. As far as my top step, I hunt mostly state land so I carry an extra stick and place it at the same level but opposite my last stick. That's what I use as my foot rest / standing pegs. If I'm on private land and know I'll be returning, I use the screw in steps.
I did find the tree suits carrying method a bit cumbersom. I modified it with a side release buckle attached to the back of the suit and the other side to the bottom front of the seat. This allows me to fold the seat up on my back and simply clip it together rather than hog tying yourself with the strap like they suggest. Also makes a little "pocket" that I fold and tuck the support straps into. For the safety line, I replaced that with a nylon strap style. Much more manageable / compact, I fold it up and sore it in a little pouch that I put on the suit belt. Also attached a couple of small pouches on the bottom side of the seat, one holds a self retracting bow rope the other holds a folding saw.
I've been using the suit for several years now. As you may have gathered, I'm a bit of a "tinkerer" lol.
The modifications I've made have really worked out for me.
Hope the season goes well for you.

NCdeerguy

Postby NCdeerguy » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:20 am

Hey Michigander, yeah the treesuit has its cumbersome points for sure, your modifications sound great- I could picture them in my head. My big complaint is the seat- it won't stay put for too long before it droops down around behind and legs; I started bringing a small backpack that clasps at the waist; having that strap from the backpack clasped below where the seat would normally droop holds it in place, so I can truly walk for "miles" in it as the manual and video always touted you could lol. I use the suit during bow season and a light 14-pound climber for gun season, and I'll always give the suit its props for being light, portable and as silent as you can get as far as setting up and climbing a tree during the dark for the first time (climbers will always make some noise). Thanks for your tips and good luck with your season as well!
Jeremy from NC
Tree hoppin' 'cross state from the mtns of Wilkes to the swamps of Halifax

AlleganBowhunter

Postby AlleganBowhunter » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:16 pm

Michigander and NCdeerguy and other Treesuit users...

Have you used the Tree Saddle also?  I am looking for an honest comparison.   There is a lot of into on the net about the Saddles but not the suit.  The saddle seems to have a near cult like following, which is good, but wondered about the alternatives.

The suit website makes it sound like its an actual seat... does that get in the way when walking?  Could you post or email me any pics of your set up?

I just found out my old climber finally took a dump (FINALLY!) so I am now in the market for a new climbing set up.  Have been eying the saddle for a few years, but if the suit is as good or better, would be happy to spend less money.

Thanks
Aim for the center of the target... the center of an aspirin is the same size as the center of a basketball. The difference is mental.

John in Michigan.

PreviousNext

Return to Tree Stands