Missouri Opener

ranwin33

Missouri Opener

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:55 am

Bow season opens today.

Anybody lucky enough to be hunting?

I'll be heading out Wednesday afternoon!!
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

twotone3

RE: Missouri Opener

Postby twotone3 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:20 pm

Won't be lucky enough to get out for a couple more weeks.

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:53 pm

I just can't bring myself to deer hunt in September. I've tried, but I just can't get into it.

It's wierd, I know.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:14 am

Welcome twotone3!  Glad to see another Missouri hunter on the site.

Right now we're few and far between but hopefully will gain in numbers as others become aware.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:18 am

We hunt in September more out of tradition than anything else - much like I open the season in the same stand every year.  Plus we visit our property every couple of weeks anyway, so why not sit in the woods with a bow. 

What I like about hunting September through November is it really gives me an opportunity to "study" deer movement.  During early September we see lots of does, until about the first week or so of October.  Then they all but disappear and we see nothing but bucks, usually small ones, spikes, fork horns and five pointers.  Can't buy a doe to save our soul.  Come the end of October and into November we begin to see both does and bucks, and on ocassion a big buck. 

If I didn't have a bow in my hand I couldn't bring myself to get out of bed and go sit a stand in the early a.m.  Maybe someday, just not now.
Aldo Leopold

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:36 am

Today is the day!

I am headed out around noon and should be in a treestand sometime around 5 p.m. with any luck.

Weather looks to be a little warm, but that's okay - I'll be hunting.
Aldo Leopold

Return to Missouri