Deer Stand Design

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
msbadger

RE: Deer Stand Design

Postby msbadger » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:11 am

I've built many stands ... by my self and with plans from my head(must be a woman thing [;)])...the ladder stand and the bigger "hang on" I did need help getting up in tree...the ladder stand took myself... Mr B. and a tractor to stand up....though I was able to load it up in the truck alone.....

with a tower blind on uneven land.....because I'd concrete the posts in at least 2ft...3would be better for frost heave.....Id start by doing at least some surface leveling...then find the drop in inches from one side to the other so you can approx. the depth of holes to be dug....have a good post level and a long level....from the top of poles down measure a good ground working distance and mark a straight line on all poles.....it will be this line that you will use to find out if the top of all poles are even before setting concrete....don't forget to have brace 2x4's to hold poles while concrete sets ...2 per pole.....Getting some of the materials by going to construction sites and asking if they have left overs helps....Have fun....
Yes they can be expensive ...but NO One will be cutting chain and locks to steal them [;)] 

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:14 am

Oopps forgot pics...

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:36 am

Vipertech....the Big Game Partner Plus Ladder Stands have the large flip-up bench seats on them and the Rivers Edge Ladder stands have the flip-up seats on some of them also.

One thing to consider when building a larger Permanent Stand is putting it on a Site that will be productive for many years so be sure to put it in a very good area because moving it will be next to impossible if it is anchored in the ground.

clfenimore

Postby clfenimore » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:24 am

First I don't recommend using wood to make any stand for safety reasons I know guys who do I guess it's whatever you're comfortable with. Think safety first. Also wood is heavy. A friend of mine used wood and says it works fine as long as you keep weather treatment on it. He built a nice permanent tree house for his grandsons that actually makes a nice Box blind during deer season. They use it for a tree house year round and have even slept in it. Here is a photo of a set up I have for me and my grandson it's not a very good picture though as you can see I used two hang on stands in a big oak that has a large fork high in the tree these stands are about 25 feet off the ground. I also use two hang on stand in a single trunked tree close to each other or back to back so I can hunt with my grandsons. I don't have a two man stand so I use two hang on stands. this works out good and is a great way to teach treestand safety by having my grandson get into his own stand and go through the steps of getting in and out and also using a safety harness I've made some of my own stands and ladders out of ¾ & 1 inch square steel tubing and expanded metal I've used one of these stands for 20 years two others 15 years and I made a climbing stand two years ago that works great. I don't have a plan on paper. If you want I could Draw one out though or take some picks. I also have a couple manufactured stands I picked up at a swap meet. Like Ohio farms wrote you can look at other designs and see how there made I don't know how well you can see the stands in this picture they are a couple I made. If you have to pay someone to make the stands anyway you could probably Buy a couple hang on stands safety harnesses and a ladder for as much as you will invest it having some made.
I bought a couple of 20 ft ladders at www.sportsmanguide.com last year for $39.00 ea that's cheaper than I can make my own of coarse where they had the braces bolted together I welded them. If you get on there mailing list you can catch a sale and get good stands and ladders cheaper than you can make them.

If a man cant hunt when he's living how the hell will he hunt when he's dead

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:40 am

We have alot of permanent stands where I hunt and they didnt last more than 6 years. However, there is one that is still in good shape, it was painted all gray and has little wear from the weather. The others werent painted. maybe that had something to do with it ???
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:56 am

Six years ?....Where they made out of pressure treated material? As with having a deck on your house even PT needs maintenance to last...Some of my stands are 15yrs old and the stands at camp we built are over 20yrs old.....braces.... nails ... bolts.(all decking rated)  need to be checked at least yearly.....yes the wood is heavier but as with the latest hang on style I made a simple pulley system and the stand is easy to secure...by my self....that being said ...SG has great deals and I've purchased many a stand thru them....one last thing ....ratchet straps are fine and I use them but I also use heavy chain as a back up....just loosen both at the end of the season so the tree has room to grow.

berudd

Postby berudd » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:08 am

Are you looking for a tree stand or a free standing elevated blind? If it is a tree stand I would definitely just go buy one of the two man ladder stands. They range from just over 100 bucks to maybe a little over 200 if you want a blind around it. I have been hunting out of one of the cheapest ones with my 8 year old and we have plenty of room. The only down side of the one we use is that the floor does not extend under the seat. It would be nice if it did because it would give us a place to stick our packs.

I would guess that if you have to pay someone to build it it will be just as expensive as the store bought stands and 10 -15 years for a wooden stand is pushing it.

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:36 am

timer,

I'm looking to build one of these as well.  I'm looking for more of a shooting house which I think is what you are looking for.  I'm going to be using some metal framing for the legs and then I'm planning to build the house out of lumber and siding.  I would like it to be as much like an actual house as I can.  Don't have any plans yet but I will am going to try to draw some up today. 

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:49 am

ORIGINAL: msbadger

Six years ?....Where they made out of pressure treated material? As with having a deck on your house even PT needs maintenance to last...Some of my stands are 15yrs old and the stands at camp we built are over 20yrs old.....braces.... nails ... bolts.(all decking rated)  need to be checked at least yearly.....yes the wood is heavier but as with the latest hang on style I made a simple pulley system and the stand is easy to secure...by my self....that being said ...SG has great deals and I've purchased many a stand thru them....one last thing ....ratchet straps are fine and I use them but I also use heavy chain as a back up....just loosen both at the end of the season so the tree has room to grow.

Yeah, we used cheap lumber. Mostly cedar plywood and pine 2x4's and 4x4's. Not treated.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:47 am

I may have figured out how to make my pics smaller so that I can send them...Hmm.  In any event, hopefully you are looking at the treestands that I use on my property. The floorboards are 13 ft. off the ground. The front side of the box is removeable so that you can enter the stand easily. All wood is treated lumber with the exception of the sides which are outdoor 5/8 inch plywood that I treated with deck sealant, then stained.  All hardware is galvanized. The feet of the ladder is nailed to stakes pounded into the ground for stability. I have since put a heavyer strap around the tree. The nice thing about the straps is that you can loosen them during the off season so that the tree does not get girdeled. Once the strap is loosened I put a laminated sign on the ladder that states "DANGER, STRAP IS LOOSE. DO NOT CLIMB".  Cost is about $140 per stand and will last 20+ years .
My wife and I built it in 5 hours.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

PreviousNext

Return to Tree Stands