deer & coyote

cva54

deer & coyote

Postby cva54 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:23 am

Here in MN do you all think the wolf coyote and fox are taking there toll on the deer heard? If so lets start hunting them. I got a story about coyote hapend Xmas eve morn 2009 after a big snow storm ok in it

bowman12

RE: deer & coyote

Postby bowman12 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:26 am

The timberwolves definitely kill alot of whitetails up North here. We don't see many coyotes, just timbers, I'm about 5 miles from the Canadian border, and YES, I'm all for it being legal to hunt for wolves! They're thick up here!

want2hunt

Postby want2hunt » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:57 am

What's it take to call in a coyote, I wouldn't mind trying to take a few out. I hear them everymorning from multiple directions when hunting near Remer.

I wouldn't want to go crazy buying expensive calls but if people have success with cheap calls let me know what kind to try and I'll do my part.

I'd like to see a wolf season in the future too.

Brian

14milecreekbucks

Postby 14milecreekbucks » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:42 am

I'm from the midwest and coyotes definatley target fawns in the spring of the year. A friend of mine hunts them from time to time and swears the best bait is the gut pile that is left behind after a fresh deer kill, no calls just climb back up in the deer stand and wait them out.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:31 am

I'll kill a coyote if given the chance.  I got one with my bow a few years back, but haven't had any opportunities lately.

I've never actually "hunted" coyotes, but will take one if the opportunity presents itself.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

b phat

Postby b phat » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:44 am

I think if a deer and coyote was on the same trail I would take the coyote. There getting bad here in IL. Took a nice doe this late season couldnt find it until next morning and the coyotes had the ass ate out of it

4khorn

Postby 4khorn » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:50 am

I saw more coyotes this season than ever before, and I only hunted half as much as in the past. Several hunts consisted of seeing deer running through the woods, followed by a coyote or a pack of them a few moments later. Pretty well screwed me up.

NortWoods

Postby NortWoods » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:37 pm

Sorry guys, a little late to this topic (new guy).  I feel that the best overall call for coyotes is Rick Anderson's "Lil Dog."  It comes with a long and shot range flute.  This call is easy to use and can produce anything from pup yelps to young rabbit distress calls.  The call is about $20.  

bowman12

Postby bowman12 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:05 am

My brother read an ariticle in Outdoor Life and the author used an air horn to call in coyotes. I don't know if I was targeting them I'd try it, I think I would use a rabbit dying instead, but if that didn't work I'd try it.
If they ever do have timberwolf tags available, I guess a coyote howl works awesome. I guess the timber will come running if they hear a coyote. They use it in Canada quite a bit.

Return to Minnesota