What is your favorite recipe for home made sausage?

Got good taste? Share it with our readers!
Legnip

What is your favorite recipe for home made sausage?

Postby Legnip » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:33 pm

Thought that I would ask question about recipes for home made sausage. Does anyone have a great bratwurst recipe that they would be willing to share? Summer Sausage?
From those who much is given, much is expected

ILBowhunter

RE: What is your favorite recipe for home made sausage?

Postby ILBowhunter » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:05 am

To be honest, I tend to purchase premixed spices from the Sausage Maker (see web site address below), from whom I also buy both the natural and synthetic casings as well as the cures for smoking and/or drying.  I have used their mixes for bratwurst, Polish, beef sticks, chorizo, Italian, and summer sausage and have liked them all.  Most of their spice mixes cost $7.99 and will do 50lbs, but details are given for making 10 lbs and 25 lbs, and whatever is leftover keeps forever in the fridge. 

http://www.sausagemaker.com/

To be honest, I think if I were to try and buy all of the different spices that go into all of the different mixes, it would end up costing nearly as much as buying them premixed.

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:26 pm

I haven't tried the store bought stuff. How does it taste?

The price isn't bad though. For some reason, I always remember seeing it cost twice that much. Maybe I was just adding in the shipping.
From those who much is given, much is expected

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:56 am

We use the same premixed spices, buy some pork butt mix it 1 part pork to 3 parts venision. Grind the mixture together  then add the spice kit. We buy pork casings from the butcher, they come in a container packed in salt. For summer sausage the same spice supplier sell the synthetic casings, and you can use a soup can to help mold the sausage. We make about 20 to 50 lbs a year. Throw it in the smoker all day and you got some great kielbasa.

Return to Recipes