Less deer sightings this year in ohio?

Ifishandhunt

RE: Less deer sightings this year in ohio?

Postby Ifishandhunt » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:08 pm

Well, I'm headed to Logan County this weekend for the 4 muzzleloader days. Me and a couple guys are renting a cabin near Hocking Hills State Park. It's going to be freakin cold those days so I hope the deer are moving. I'm not one to hunt public land after some bad experiences (safety issues), but this is 9000 acres so I am hoping the cold will keep alot of hunters out of the woods so I see less orange, or at least spread us out over all that land. If I get a deer early on, I plan to hunt for rabbit and grouse if I get the opportunity. Should be fun, really cold, but fun!

epd68

Postby epd68 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:55 pm

you are going to see deer the area you are hunting is excellent for late season reread my post above if the deer are breathing then they are eating.....

Ifishandhunt

Postby Ifishandhunt » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:20 am

Well... just got back (about an hour ago) from 4 days in Hocking Hills and also Vinton county on the land that Meade Paper has their experimental 15,000 acre forest. Man it was cold!!! Of the 4 days, I only saw 4 deer yesterday at 5:00 about 100 yards but no clear shot. 4 days and only one day of seeing deer... except the one we almost hit driving back to our cabin last night! It was close call. Literally inches away from deer/car collision. Not the way I want to bring home venison. We ran into a few other hunters and seemed not many saw deer. I don't know if it had to do with the temps or just that those two places are hunted real hard during gun seasons, so the deer go noncturnal. Anyway it as lots of fun, did I say it was cold? It was freezing. The cabin we stayed at in Hocking Hills near the Lodge was decent, perfect for 3 guys on a hunting trip.

So we are up one of the 'mountains' in Vinton County on the Meade land. It snowed just about the whole weekend on and off. So I was able to notice a bunch of tracks. I noticed some odd looking tracks and thought they were too big to be coyoute. My first thought was it had to be a bear paw. When I told m buddies what I thought I saw, they told me there are black bear in there. That's good to know!

So Muzzleloader season is over in 1 minute. Back to the bow for just a couple more weeks. I don't want to eat a tag sandwich but the way it looks, I may be doing just that.

ghosthunter31193

Postby ghosthunter31193 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:30 am

i had a very slow season all the way up until thanksgiving morning i had not seen any deer worth even picking my bow up for and then at about 9:30 a 140 class eight pint chased in two does right and under my stand but he stayed about fourty yards out and i hit him and the blood was bubbly as it would be with a lung and it was all over but we followed the trail for a while and then it just stopped and we look all over for him and couldnt find him it was really hard cause he would've been my second buck. but i guess thats part of hunting especially with a bow.

Hunting Ohio

Postby Hunting Ohio » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:02 pm

Season for me here in Ross county was very slow compared to years past.
"Cant get the big one if you dont pass the young ones"
Hunt safe and good luck!

JHBB

Postby JHBB » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:14 pm

I did all of my bow hunting in lake county this year.  I've been hunting the same area for about 5 years now and this was definately the worst year of hunting so far.  I saw the least amount of deer I've ever seen.  I hunted a ton during the last few weeks of Oct. and all of Nov.  I ended up seeing more small bucks than does for some reason.  It just seemed like there were hardly any does around.  It was even hard for me to get many photos of deer on my trailcam, which makes me think that there just weren't as many deer around this year. 

Previous

Return to Ohio