Field report from IL. conservation police CPO's

EatDeer

Field report from IL. conservation police CPO's

Postby EatDeer » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:14 am

A CPO closed out a case on a hunting deer from the roadway charge, and a hunting out of season charge. The subject recieved two convictions for transporting an uncased firearm, and for hunting from the roadway, resulting in $730 in fines and costs, along with the forfeiture of the subjects .243 rifle. 
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

allthingshunting

RE: Field report from IL. conservation police CPO's

Postby allthingshunting » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:16 am

I am glad he lost his rifle, but he is lucky he didn't lose his vehicle too.  I feel he should have.  While the rifle is a pretty decent penalty, the vehicle would be a major penalty, perhaps life changing.  Unfortunately for these knuckleheads, life changing is the only thing that gets their attention and will actually discourage the future acts of other road hunters.  The risk of what amounts to approx. a $ 1,000.00 fine is probably justifiable to many for the chance to put a monster on the wall. (I couldn't do it if it were only a $ 10 fine, how do they sleep at night?  My conscience would eat me alive.  It is real sporting to pop a deer from a window of a car.)

Similarly, we have people around where i live that will hunt a particular piece of watershed every night which is off limits to the public, especially hunting.  They will typically get caught once a year and pay a small fine.  Because the fine is so small, they have actually justified themselves to me that it is like having a lease.  They in effect, have their own land, cuz no one else is willing to break the law.  I would be willing to bet they would stop hunting this land if they started losing their weapons and possibly their vehicle.

11.point

Postby 11.point » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:55 am

I bowhunt in IL almost every year for the past 10 years and it amazes me how many high power gun shots you here at night.  I guess they could be hunting coyotes ( I don't know the rules) but I would say some have to be guys poaching deer.  You think it would be easy for the CPO's to catch the shooters since you can not spotlight deer at night.

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:58 pm

you cant actually shoot coyotes 24 hrs during the fur trapping season.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Return to Illinois