Getting "your" venison back

msbadger

RE: Getting "your" venison back

Postby msbadger » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:14 am

We... years ago... use to take our deer to the butcher ...drove 50 miles just to use this guy ...but he retired....so we started cutting our...lots of work but more than worth it...and the taste was different...for what ever reason.....I remember and fasteddie might as well ...a guy that butchered deer right near the reg. 8 DEC offices......you'd drive by and there were deer piled up out side...well I Think it was an unexpected warm spell one year and if I'm correct the DEC went in and inspected....all the deer that were at his place were listed spoiled...and all those hunters lost their meat...I don't think it was malicious on his part...I actually think he's still in business but not sure...but I can't imagine waiting all year to go hunting and anticipate good venison meals to be told it was gone.....the work is worth it

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:27 am

MSbadger ---- You gotta be talking about "Larry's Deer Processing" a bit just east of RT 590 and west of the DEC office on the north side of the road . I took a deer there once . He did a nice job but has no refrigeration . When I went back to pick up my venison , he had a bunch of deer stacked up to butcher . That was enough for me .

The main problem I have with butchering my own is ....... I have arthritis in my hands and the ring finger on my right hand often locks up . The plus side is ... I get the meat I should .
Semper Fi !

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:05 am

Bingo....[;)]

hunt4ever

Postby hunt4ever » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:22 pm

ORIGINAL: Patriot

I've processed my own deer my whole life.  I also thoroughly enjoy teaching others how to butcher their own.  The time is well worth it! 

My local butcher does not process deer anymore, but he will grind and wrap the burger for me if I bring that in.  I get my own back and he only charges like 50 cents a pound for the service.  He's a small town butcher and I've gotten to know him really well.

catphish66, there is only one spot for the tenderloins...unless your butcher was using different terminology for a different cut of meat.

Paul K. - I love the patch of the buck with the flag in the backgroundImage that you have at the bottom of the post.  Anyway you can send it to me or where can I find it so I can copy & past.  I tried copying this, but the system won't let me.  I also process my own deer and really enjoy it.  Additionally, it sounds crazy, but I think I owe it out of respect for this marvelous-incredible creature.  It's quirky, but that is the way I feel.  [size="4"]Tom Mac[/size]
I would be unstoppable...If I could just get going!

titan 2 man

Postby titan 2 man » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:07 pm

I arrowed a fairly large doe, about 160lbs...After removing hide, head, field dress, and remove legs, I had 90 lbs on the hook..Took it to a processor, and recieved just under 50 lbs back, no sausage, just ground, stew and a few roasts...Incredibily tasty
stay safe, shoot straight

Previous

Return to New York