Trail Cam Batteries..Ultimate Lithium?

shadow

Trail Cam Batteries..Ultimate Lithium?

Postby shadow » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:21 am

I noticed that the less costly and cheaper made a battery is the less time it can stay in a trail cam before they go dead, no matter how many pictures are taken.
As an example, I get Chinese made D-cell and AA batteries for free. They, along with the ones you can pick up at a dollar store are not made with the same quality ingredients as a Duracell or Energizer brand. And even though I get them for free its not worth changing them out every week and possibly risk missing some good pictures. I always try to use either the standard Duracell or Energizers in my trail cams which will last at least 4 weeks before I need to change them. And I have been getting excellent performance with them in my Moultrie D-40's even in below freezing weather.

Recently, I have been wondering about the Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA's. I bought some today and as you probably know they are not cheap. They cost me 20.00 for a package of 8. They claim to have a life span that is 8 times greater than the average AA made by them, and I plan on putting them in a Bushnell trail cam I have.
I am wondering if anyone has used these or even the less expensive Advanced Lithium which claim to have a life span which is 4 times greater than the average Energizer AA and what are your thoughts on these?
The package also states that they can be used in extreme conditions, -40 to 140 degrees, perfect for winter or a real hot summer. Are they worth the price?

This Bushnell trail cam I have also boasts battery life up to 1 year so I am eager to see how long they will last, even if I need to switch them out in 8 months or so, they may be worth it... or maybe the free Chinese made AA's I get will do just as well.??

With all the deer you may have taken there holds in your memory a special place i'm sure for each one you killed.

hunt4ever

RE: Trail Cam Batteries..Ultimate Lithium?

Postby hunt4ever » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:56 am

ORIGINAL: shadow

I noticed that the less costly and cheaper made a battery is the less time it can stay in a trail cam before they go dead, no matter how many pictures are taken.
As an example, I get Chinese made D-cell and AA batteries for free. They, along with the ones you can pick up at a dollar store are not made with the same quality ingredients as a Duracell or Energizer brand. And even though I get them for free its not worth changing them out every week and possibly risk missing some good pictures. I always try to use either the standard Duracell or Energizers in my trail cams which will last at least 4 weeks before I need to change them. And I have been getting excellent performance with them in my Moultrie D-40's even in below freezing weather.

Recently, I have been wondering about the Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA's. I bought some today and as you probably know they are not cheap. They cost me 20.00 for a package of 8. They claim to have a life span that is 8 times greater than the average AA made by them, and I plan on putting them in a Bushnell trail cam I have.
I am wondering if anyone has used these or even the less expensive Advanced Lithium which claim to have a life span which is 4 times greater than the average Energizer AA and what are your thoughts on these?
The package also states that they can be used in extreme conditions, -40 to 140 degrees, perfect for winter or a real hot summer. Are they worth the price?

This Bushnell trail cam I have also boasts battery life up to 1 year so I am eager to see how long they will last, even if I need to switch them out in 8 months or so, they may be worth it... or maybe the free Chinese made AA's I get will do just as well.??

I also use 3 x Moultrie's D40's the year round, so I will be very interested in hearing the responses.  I also found that the chippies are not worth it and have gone exclusively with Duracell or Energizers which I buy @ Wallmart @ $10.00 for an eight pack.  [size="4"]Tom Mac[/size]
I would be unstoppable...If I could just get going!

SHKYBoonie

Postby SHKYBoonie » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:50 pm

I have not used the lithium batteries in my cams but agree about using the cheap batteries. I use the energizer AA batteries in my Bushnell Trophy cams. I have had one set of 8 batteries last for 6 months in these cams. I changed them out at the end of the season mainly because I just couldn't believe they had lasted that long. They were still showing they had power. The new Bushnell cams are definitely the best I have ever seen. I would think that using the lithium batteries would increase the time in between changes, but with the life I'm getting form the regular Energizer AA's, I don't see the need in spending that extra money. Let me know how they do.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:56 pm

I bought Fuji "C" batteries at Big Lots for $1.75 per pack of 2 . They lasted most of the summer . When they die in the camera , they still have enough life to work okay in the flashlight .
Semper Fi !

2tonyb

Postby 2tonyb » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:47 pm

The Lithium batteries will give the camera excellent performance in extremely cold conditions.  I used to have a camera that used AAs and the lithium were a must to get a fast trigger time in the cold. 
As for the Moultries, they are pretty decent on battery consumption, but consider getting a solar panel if you can place your camera in a location that gets some sunlight.  The solar panel runs 49.99 at walmart.com.  Two of my cameras have been running the last few weeks on solar power exclusively.  I have been very impressed by the solar panel. 

shadow

Postby shadow » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:34 am

I don't think a solar panel on my Moultries would work. I usually place them in areas that aren't to open and it probably wouldn't be able to be in direct sunlight.
Do they need direct sunlight to run the camera?
With all the deer you may have taken there holds in your memory a special place i'm sure for each one you killed.

2tonyb

Postby 2tonyb » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:12 pm

I have one in direct sunlight with no obstructions and it works great.  My other panel is "looking" at the winter south sun, but it is partially obstructed due to the fact that it is on the north edge of a woods. So, this one gets periodic sunlight. To my surprise it is still holding its own.  I'm sure it would not do well in the spring/summer with the leaves providing a total canopy.  I figure when that time of year rolls around, I'll move it to a sunnier location or use a twelve volt rechargeable (were on sale at Cabelas for 14.99). 

shadow

Postby shadow » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:25 pm

2tonyb, Does the solar panel also need to be used with rechargeable batteries?
And I'm gonna need to look at the Cabela's catalog or website but does the 12 volt battery sit on the ground, and it obviously takes the place of the D-cells, right?

2tonyb

Postby 2tonyb » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:43 pm

Shadow, the 12 volt moultrie solar panel has a built in battery that is directly behind the panel. You can use D-cell batteries in the camera at the same time.  They do NOT need to be rechargeable.  If you do put batteries in the camera, the camera will run off of the solar charged battery unless there is no power available.  In the now power available case, the camera will then resort to using the "regular" D-cell batteries that are installed in the camera. 

The solar panel comes with a connection adapter to allow it to be used with the D40.  For whatever reason, the D40s and the I40/I60s have a slighty different connector.  I contacted Moultrie to get a couple extra of these adapters.  I chopped up a couple adapters to make power cords to use with my rechargeable Cabelas 12volt batteries.  I do place these rechargeables on the ground, so I do make a fairly long cord.  My brother hangs his off of the tree due to his area being river bottom that sometimes floods.  Like the solar panel, these "external" rechargeables can be used with D cells installed in the camera.  The camera always uses the external power first.  Right now I have two cams out with solar panels and three with the cabelas rechargeables.  Clear as mud?

hunt4ever

Postby hunt4ever » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:40 am

ORIGINAL: 2tonyb

Shadow, the 12 volt moultrie solar panel has a built in battery that is directly behind the panel. You can use D-cell batteries in the camera at the same time.  They do NOT need to be rechargeable.  If you do put batteries in the camera, the camera will run off of the solar charged battery unless there is no power available.  In the now power available case, the camera will then resort to using the "regular" D-cell batteries that are installed in the camera. 

The solar panel comes with a connection adapter to allow it to be used with the D40.  For whatever reason, the D40s and the I40/I60s have a slighty different connector.  I contacted Moultrie to get a couple extra of these adapters.  I chopped up a couple adapters to make power cords to use with my rechargeable Cabelas 12volt batteries.  I do place these rechargeables on the ground, so I do make a fairly long cord.  My brother hangs his off of the tree due to his area being river bottom that sometimes floods.  Like the solar panel, these "external" rechargeables can be used with D cells installed in the camera.  The camera always uses the external power first.  Right now I have two cams out with solar panels and three with the cabelas rechargeables.  Clear as mud?

2tonyyb, Have you found that the rechargeables last as long as quality D batteries, i.e EnergizersImage  I bought some Energizers rechargeables and they lasted about 1/2 the time of non-chargeables, so decided they was not worth it.  Also, does the solar panel have straps to hang it on a treeImage  I have three Moultrie D40's going the year round, so I need to look into solar panels.  I have spent over $125 in batteries over the last year; therefore, this would seem to be a no brainier.  From your comments, I guess I need to talk with Cabelas on the appropriate/matching connections.  [size="4"]Tom Mac[/size]

I would be unstoppable...If I could just get going!

Next

Return to Scouting Cameras