New shed hunter

The popular off-season pastime is quickly becoming a sport itself. Help cure antler illness by sharing your shed hunting tactics.
widereceiver

New shed hunter

Postby widereceiver » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:27 pm

Hey guys I'm new to shed hunting and I was wondering if you could help. I live in Clarksville,TN I've seen bucks in my area. When's the best time to go and how do I better my chances of finding them?
MC

eagle eye

RE: New shed hunter

Postby eagle eye » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:20 pm

You shoud be able to start finding sheds for the next few months. I concentrate on areas that ribs have occoured and field edges. Other than that this is a great time to scout for turkeys and discover new areas for next season. Enjoy the moments
John Wojtas
Enjoying the moment and always striving to enhance our hunting heritage

4khorn

Postby 4khorn » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:52 pm

Well I'm definately not an expert shed hunter, but I have been lucky enough to find a few.  To state the obvious, the more time you spend looking and the more ground you cover, the better your chances of laying your hands on some bone.  The problem that I have always had is staying positive.  After hours of walking, it is easy to get discouraged when you have not found anything.  If you can push through you will be a step ahead of a lot of shed hunters.  Just keep your mind on your goal and trust me, when you do find one, it will be worth it.  Also, I always try to keep an eye out while driving.  Not so much that it impairs your driving tho.  I spotted my biggest shed in the grass about 50 yards off the highway. 

Powell1120

Postby Powell1120 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:25 pm

I personally have always had my best luck in any remaining patches of standing corn, Also if you can find bedding areas they will produce as long as you get there before someone else. I have good luck at fence crossing and field edges where the buck leave the field in enter the brush. Your basically looking for places that some kind of jarring action occurs, such as jumping the fence, laying down, or standing up. I'm no expert either, I will no doubt put on more miles that sheds found, but just being out there is half the fun to me.

cruiserdebo

Postby cruiserdebo » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:38 pm

i really cant offer any good advice on how to find more racks, but take ur time in the woods as a time to SCOUT for next year...if u find sheds then ur in the right area !!! IMO
you go up on that ridge and I'll go down in the swamp....

Return to Shed Hunting