Antlers Already Falling

kykevin

Antlers Already Falling

Postby kykevin » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:45 am

Did alot of hunting this past week in our beautiful blizzard conditions. I noticed several bucks that had already lost their antlers and had a nice 10 walk under my tree that had already lost his left side.
The deer seemed to be moving about at most hours during the day to feed. I connected on two more does for the freezer but still havent had that shooter in my sights yet. Still got a few days left to fill my buck tag.
-=It's not a passion. It's an obsession.=--

Bryan78

RE: Antlers Already Falling

Postby Bryan78 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:01 pm

ORIGINAL: kykevin

Did alot of hunting this past week in our beautiful blizzard conditions. I noticed several bucks that had already lost their antlers and had a nice 10 walk under my tree that had already lost his left side.
The deer seemed to be moving about at most hours during the day to feed. I connected on two more does for the freezer but still havent had that shooter in my sights yet. Still got a few days left to fill my buck tag.

That it is odd if they are starting to lose their antlers already.  I was told they usually keep them until late winter or early spring.

Also how would you know if they were Buck's if they already lost their antlers? 

kykevin

Postby kykevin » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:28 am

Its very obvious when they walk under your stand and you are staring down at the top of their head. Checked my trail cam this morning and had several that have lost their antlers.
-=It's not a passion. It's an obsession.=--

shaman

Postby shaman » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:58 pm

With this weather we've been having, it is quite believable.  We've been having relatively mild winters the last few years, and I've seen deer holding their antlers well into Turkey Season.  This one is looking like it is going to be a real stinker.  In my neck of the woods the acorns were a bit of a flop too.  I'm sure everything is stressed.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

RubyCreekHunter

Postby RubyCreekHunter » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:58 am

My buddy`s brother shot an 8 point during muzzleloader, but when he went to retrieve it, it was only a 4 point...broke off when the deer fell(the horn was laying right there).
Edit: This was in MI, Oceana county. Dec.19

Bryan78

Postby Bryan78 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:51 am

ORIGINAL: kykevin

Its very obvious when they walk under your stand and you are staring down at the top of their head. Checked my trail cam this morning and had several that have lost their antlers.

LOL Well I guess that would be pretty obvious then.  Now could you tag it as a Doe since it did not have any antlers?

SHKYBoonie

Postby SHKYBoonie » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:13 am

Last year it was Jan. 10 when I found my first set of sheds. My cameras showed me that the smaller bucks still had there antlers but most of the big guys were starting to drop. However I did see a nice 8 point with his full rack in late Feb. that same year. This is in central West KY. I haven't been up lately to check the cameras, guess I need to go up and do some looking now. Thanks for the info.

bowhuntr15

Postby bowhuntr15 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:34 am

Last year I shot what I thought was a large doe.  I did a poor job assessing the head area, since I didn't think bucks were already shedding (it was Jan. 15th).  Conservation did allow me to tag it with my "antlerless" tag (or as a doe).  Needless to say, during the last 2-3 weeks of this season, I have been very careful. This past Sat. I passed on an antlerless buck and took an actual doe.  Check with your conservation officer about the antlerless bucks. 
"Perseverance, Practice, Integrity"

Bryan78

Postby Bryan78 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:27 am

ORIGINAL: bowhuntr15

Last year I shot what I thought was a large doe.  I did a poor job assessing the head area, since I didn't think bucks were already shedding (it was Jan. 15th).  Conservation did allow me to tag it with my "antlerless" tag (or as a doe).  Needless to say, during the last 2-3 weeks of this season, I have been very careful. This past Sat. I passed on an antlerless buck and took an actual doe.  Check with your conservation officer about the antlerless bucks. 

Well I honestly don't think they can give you a ticket if you harvested an antlerless buck and you only had a doe license.  Seriously, how would you know until you walked up on it and saw that it was a buck.  Besides you could take it to court and win easily over it.

SHKYBoonie

Postby SHKYBoonie » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:36 pm

Went out shed hunting/scouting today. I didn't take my lab because I had to do a few other things too and figured he would get board with that. I looked in all the known places that I have found sheds before. I didn't find the first one. Things are still pretty green in KY and I found a few scrapes and rubs that were not all that old. Some may have dropped already but I think most are still wearing their headgear. I'll go back out in a few weeks and check again. Maybe this time I will be able to bring the dog. He sure does make it alot easier!

Next

Return to Kentucky