Trail Cam Batteries..Ultimate Lithium?

2tonyb

RE: Trail Cam Batteries..Ultimate Lithium?

Postby 2tonyb » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:17 am

The solar panel has a bracket for screws.  Straps would work, but screws would be better.  The solar panel comes with the proper adapter for the D-40.  Best price is walmart.com...49.99.  The rechargeables that I speak of are a single lead acid sealed battery...check out cabelas for these...type in the search "lead acid battery".  You would need to construct your own power cord (call moultrie to get the adapters they sent me a few for FREE) to use with the lead acid battery. I simply cut the adapter to get the 12V plug, bought some conductive wire and a couple of alligator clips.
The lead acid battery that I got from Cabelas is 29.99 with the charger.  The battery alone is 19.99.  A couple of weeks ago they were on sale for 14.99.   

I'm not 100% sure how long the lead acid battery charge life is.  I've swapped one out after a couple of weeks, and my multimeter still shows it had a nearly full charge. With decent temperatures, I'm sure they would last more than a month. 

hunt4ever

Postby hunt4ever » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:32 am

ORIGINAL: 2tonyb

The solar panel has a bracket for screws.  Straps would work, but screws would be better.  The solar panel comes with the proper adapter for the D-40.  Best price is walmart.com...49.99.  The rechargeables that I speak of are a single lead acid sealed battery...check out cabelas for these...type in the search "lead acid battery".  You would need to construct your own power cord (call moultrie to get the adapters they sent me a few for FREE) to use with the lead acid battery. I simply cut the adapter to get the 12V plug, bought some conductive wire and a couple of alligator clips.
The lead acid battery that I got from Cabelas, I don't see on their web site anymore.  The only one I see now is 29.99. Used to be able to get the battery for 14.99....bummer.  It still may be an economically sound buy.

I'm not 100% sure how long the lead acid battery charge life is.  I've swapped one out after a couple of weeks, and my multimeter still shows it had a nearly full charge. With decent temperatures, I'm sure they would last more than a month. 

Thanks for your quick response.  I assume the 12v rechargables have good life.  TOM Mac
I would be unstoppable...If I could just get going!

2tonyb

Postby 2tonyb » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:03 am

I slightly revised my previous post.  The battery is still available at Cabelas.com.  Search "battery" and it will be at the top.  It is 29.99 with charger and 19.99 for the battery only.  So, no need for 2 chargers.

shadow

Postby shadow » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:30 pm

Thanks for the info 2tonyb!
With all the deer you may have taken there holds in your memory a special place i'm sure for each one you killed.

extroverted

Postby extroverted » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:35 am

To all you gents and ladies, I have not been on here in a while, but I have been doing a ton of my own research and what I am going to tell you will help you save a ton of money and time!!!

First things first, Don't get scammed on the solar panels that you buy from any of the cabelas, bass pro, dunams, dicks, hunter feeders, and or Texas feeders. Why none of these units have a Blocking Module you should ask the sale people if they do, and if not don't waste you money. a blocking module keeps the charge in your battery when the sun goes down or on a cloudy day. if it does not have a blocking module the solar panel will act as a solar light bulb drawing the power out of the battery.

Next is wattage rating of the panel you buy from these other companies why dont they ever tell you the actual wattage, and why is that???
Well because they don't want you to know that it takes a ton of solar power to charge a rechargeable battery, just look at home applications. sure they are cheap, but you are paying for what you are getting when it comes to solar panels!!!

Next is your battery size, Sorry to have to tell you this, but rechargeable batteries such as D's C's AA's will not give you the back up power you seek when there are cloudy days, or even at night. tops you will get 3 days back up power and during Michigan winters this is not enough back up days!!!

You will need to spend some money to keep your cam running all the time 24/7 like mine.
having your equipment in the woods with a warranty is a big plus for me. starting with the solar panel.
The ones I bought are from a Guy on E-bay, he told me that it does have a blocking module and also has an adaptor for a plug and play set up for the rechargeable stealth batteries that give you 7 to 8 Ah of 15 days worth of back up power, to be honest, these batteries are JUNK and I will explain more on that later.

The 5 watt solar panel is equivalent to having a 2 amp Ac trickle charger on your cams all the time that there is direct sun light. they come with a 20ty year warranty on the glass and solar panel.
They have an aluminum frame that makes it easy to mount with a 9' cord so that I can install them to a pole.
I have pictures of mine that I would be willing to share if you like.
Just email me jward2866@aol.com
I want to also state that I am by no means trying to sell you something unless you want some build able swamp land in Florida, hehe.

For the battery you will need something that has a warranty and will with stand the temperatures of time!!!
-40c to about 102c these are the batteries I use. They do however cost money, and you are getting what you pay for, such as 30 days back up power and 4 years warranty. Look for a Odyssey PC625 at summittracing this is the unit that will pay for it's self.

as for the stealth batteries, well first they give you a charger that DOES NOT shut off when reaching full charge, batteries die because of this, hot and then cold temps and or OVERCHARGING.
If you buy these the please charge them with a shut off timer or better a car 2 to 4 amp charger with full charge shut off.
These units are only good for spring summer and fall NOT winters, they don't have any thermo protection.
The cold will wipe them out quickly.
And you don't get any type of warranty.

John

Previous

Return to Scouting Cameras