What's this buck doing?

Tracks, Rubs, Scrapes, Trails, Etc.
Everyday Hunter

What's this buck doing?

Postby Everyday Hunter » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:23 am

I posted this photo on the Scouting Camera forum, but I'd like to ask a question about it here --
Look at this buck's posture. Is he urinating on his tarsal glands?

Another photo taken immediately before this one shows him pawing at a scrape right where his front feet are in this photo.

Thanks.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

dmcianfa

RE: What's this buck doing?

Postby dmcianfa » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:53 am

looks to be that way to me
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:04 am

I'd say urinating on his hocks. I caught this one doing the same 2 years ago

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:21 am

Looks to be doing just that....
QDM!

boxcallkid

Postby boxcallkid » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:44 am

I can't see Everyday Hunters picture, I don't know why? I also looked in the scouting camera thread and couldn't find it there either. Wanderer.. do you have any other photos of that buck before or after that one was taken, or were there no others in the sequence?
I'm asking because I don't think he was urinating on his tarsals. I've witnessed this behavior many times in nearly 40 years, and you may have captured this act that I think he's doing.
Maybe Everyday Hunter can e-mail me his pic so I can study it also?

Thanks.
Like gramps used to say, "Why is it there's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over?"

scotman

Postby scotman » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:10 pm

Although I can not see the picture either, but if it looks anything like Wanders picture it looks like the deer is urinating on the tarsal gland located on the inner back leg.
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:07 am

ORIGINAL: boxcallkid

I can't see Everyday Hunters picture, I don't know why? I also looked in the scouting camera thread and couldn't find it there either. Wanderer.. do you have any other photos of that buck before or after that one was taken, or were there no others in the sequence?
I'm asking because I don't think he was urinating on his tarsals. I've witnessed this behavior many times in nearly 40 years, and you may have captured this act that I think he's doing.
Maybe Everyday Hunter can e-mail me his pic so I can study it also?

Thanks.

I have the photo hosted on my website and had done some editing there, changing the photo's URL. I've edited the post above to add the new URL, and it should show up now. Sorry 'bout that.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

boxcallkid

Postby boxcallkid » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:54 am

Thanks Everyday,
You can see from this pic the posture usually associated with a buck urinating on his tarsals. As for Wanderers pic, the bucks hips a dropped quite a bit lower. You can see his hip bones are trust upward and show themselves clearly.
This is why I made the comment that I don't believe thats what he was doing. (urinating an his tarsals).
I know that there are a large number of seasoned deer hunters on this sight, So this is what I'm purposing;
Look at this picture more closely......... Now take a guess, and chime in!
I know that I can't be the only one who's witnessed this!
Like gramps used to say, "Why is it there's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over?"

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:31 am

Another difference I noticed between the two photos is that in my photo the buck's tail is not clenched tight between his legs, as it is in Wanderer's photo.

One thing about Wanderer's photo, though, is that I think a buck usually has both feet on the ground when urinating on his hocks. That buck's right leg looks lifted.

Steve

boxcallkid

Postby boxcallkid » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:37 pm

You'll also notice the white flaring on his hind quaters are tightened and almost invisible.
You'll also notice his front legs are firmly locked, with his head lowered for balance!
Notice also the muscles bulging behind his front legs, this is why I know he's got his front legs locked.

Anybody..... Anybody?

Next

Return to All About Deer Sign