What's this buck doing?

Tracks, Rubs, Scrapes, Trails, Etc.
GTOHunter

RE: What's this buck doing?

Postby GTOHunter » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:38 pm

Well the date shows October and it looks like he was rubbing his antlers on the tree in front of him...You also mentioned he was scraping the ground in the picture before this one shown and with his tail starting to go up or down he could very well have just got done urinating on his tarsal glands on his back legs?I have video's of a young Buck doing that very same thing,thats why I like my Moultrie I-60 camera...you can set it on 5-15 or 30 second video and observe what the Deer are actually in the process of doing!He could also have seen another Buck a few yards in front of him and was getting ready to do a little fighting/sparing too! 

boxcallkid

Postby boxcallkid » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:48 pm

Right,and you actually make valid points GTO. If your talking about the buck in the first picture on the thread.
I'm actually referring to the buck in Wanderers post. He's displaying a different posture normally associated with scrape marking with urine.
Like gramps used to say, "Why is it there's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over?"

scotman

Postby scotman » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:23 am

It looks to me the first deer is defecating in Everyday Hunters picture. But it is hard to say. Only reason I say that is they hunch up their tail like that when they are defecating. Seen them walk stiff legged like a dog does then they make short step to finish the job. A Dog will scrunch up their tail in the same manner too. But then some deer don't even bother stopping while defecating. Probably has something to do with the density of the droppings. Do you have the before frame and after frame might be able to tell more?
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

longbeards

Postby longbeards » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:07 pm

Are ya sure he just didn't have gas??

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:15 am

or get kicked in the balls??????

bowhuntr15

Postby bowhuntr15 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:10 pm

Is that a rub on the tree what looks directly in fron of the animal?  On the other forum, did most say he was urinating?  Interested in knowing.
"Perseverance, Practice, Integrity"

teckiboy

Postby teckiboy » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:20 am

for sure he doing that....i have also a trail cam of a deer urinating in the scrape....

boxcallkid

Postby boxcallkid » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:03 pm

OK guys,
I know this thread is getting old, and the picture I'm referring to is in post #3. That picture was submitted by Wanderer.

I know that I'm setting myself up for some ribbing here, but it's OK.....
The deer in Wanderers post is MASTER_ _ _ _ ING! Relieving himself, if you know what I mean!
The timing of the picture is just about perfect, in regards to pre rut..rut. I suspect this deer is in proximity of a primary scrape, has breed at least one hot doe shortly before this, and is getting frustrated in his search for the next one. He could also have just recently lost a battle with another more dominate buck that was tending a doe in estrous.

Every time I've ever seen whitetails MASTER_ _ _ _ ING these have been the conditioning factors. I know there has to be others that have witnessed this too. Maybe there just not talking about it, I don't know.

Years ago I saw this more frequently than I do now. Was it the structure of the herd? I can't say exactly. I do know that there were good numbers of mature bucks in the area. I also spent a great deal of time dopeing scrapes with Hawbackers buck lure,. but I can no longer find it. When I used that stuff it literally drove the bucks crazy, and the frequency of there visits to their scrapes was amazing!
Anyways, I'm getting a little off subject here. I guess what I'm trying to tell you is if you spend enough time in the deer woods you'll see this someday. There will be instances when your watching a scrape line and when the buck is approaching or at his scrape, You'll notice he appears to be hopping or hunching, this is what he's doing.
I try to already have an arrow in him at this point, You know before he lays down and takes a nap or rolls over and ask for a cigarette!
Like gramps used to say, "Why is it there's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over?"

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:12 pm

You are right, he is masterbating. When they are standing like he is, he will be rubbing his hind legs together. I'll have to look for some of my old trailcam pics of bucks doing the deed, and post them. Most people won't believe such a thing, but it is so.

I see you are from Newaygo Co.. I was wondering of what part of the county. I have property near White Cloud. Had hunted in and around there for many years. I have Cousins up there and let their children hunt it. It never was a big buck area. Between the meat hunters and the violaters, not too many bucks got a chance to grow up.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:53 am

Now he's going to get warts on his hooves and will go blind! (Unless he only does it just enough so that he need glasses....) [;)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

PreviousNext

Return to All About Deer Sign