Quick, CHEAP Fix For 3-D Targets......

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Woods Walker

Quick, CHEAP Fix For 3-D Targets......

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:24 am

I started doing this a few years ago.....

When my 3-D deer starts getting a sizeable hole in it, I get a wide (18") roll of that wrapping film that they use to wrap palletized goods.

I then wrap the deer where the hole is, and 6" to 8" past the hole on either side. Then I poke a small (about the size of a pencil) hole in the center of the film where it's over the hole in the deer target.

I then get a can of that "Great Stuff" that hardware stores sell for sealing windows, or seams, or whatever, and I stick the nozzle tube in the hole in the film, and in a circular fashion, I fill the void in the target, working from the middle out.

You have to make sure that you fill all the voids, so that when it dries it's really dense. In fact, a way to tell if you've done it right, is if the stuff oozes out form the access hole, and even on the edges of the film that you wrapped the target with. Don't worry about these, they will be cut off and rasped down after it's dry.

In a couple of days, remove as much of the wrapping film as you can. You may have to trim a bit, but for the most part the Great Stuff will conform to the deer target's contours quite adequately. I then take flat brown spray paint and color it.

I actually had my last 3-D deer target get SHOT IN TWO, and I was able (with flexible tubing for support) repair it this way and I got another 3 or months out of it before I had to do it again.

After the second time I gave that target it's final reward and bought a new one!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

ranwin33

RE: Quick, CHEAP Fix For 3-D Targets......

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:39 am

Great tip.  Certainly less expensive then buying a new insert.

shadow

Postby shadow » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:49 pm

Excellent way to repair them. Great way to save money too. I have been doing the same for around 12 or 13 years, works great using that canned sealer. Although I never wrap the target first, I just take the shot up pieces out of the 3-d target, stuff the nozzle in as far as I can, and let the foam fill the holes, gaps etc..
I find that it dries for me well enough in an hour or so, so I can cut off any over filled areas and touch up with paint.

bckklr

Postby bckklr » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:22 pm

what shadow said
adapt & overcome

hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:59 pm

yep

"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:22 am

Great advise, also fiberglass drywall tape wrapped the insert I've found makes the great stuff last even longer.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:41 pm

ORIGINAL: mag30079

Great advise, also fiberglass drywall tape wrapped the insert I've found makes the great stuff last even longer.

Good Idea!!!!!!

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:43 pm

ORIGINAL: shadow

Excellent way to repair them. Great way to save money too. I have been doing the same for around 12 or 13 years, works great using that canned sealer. Although I never wrap the target first, I just take the shot up pieces out of the 3-d target, stuff the nozzle in as far as I can, and let the foam fill the holes, gaps etc..
I find that it dries for me well enough in an hour or so, so I can cut off any over filled areas and touch up with paint.

I think you will find that if you wrap it, then you can really pack the sealer in there even tighter, which is why it takes a least a day or more for mine to dry.

Return to Archery and Bowhunting