Winter trimming

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
msbadger

Winter trimming

Postby msbadger » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:17 pm

Well we had a light melting of snow and the guy cutting wood and I went to another area,,,,he pretty much worked on his own due to errands Mr.B and I needed to address....I took him around and showed him the standing dead ash and then to some crowded oaks in the oak flats and a few bigger non timber maples that were shading plot areas...he dropped those and cut them up ...so the deer have some more feed ...the amount of trails and beds surprised even me and many had urine in them...some doe and fawn tracks but a lot of bigger ones as well.... we also found more rubs in the sumac and pines...
He laughed at how hard it was for me to say cut the oak....but they were in the way and close enough together and to others that the trunk radius was not going to increase fast enough to warrant further growth. The hearts showed signs of black indicating the presence of rot....they grow in a very wet area...all for the best...having served the purpose of keeping near bye trees limbless and straight. The turnips are so torn up ....you'd think even in the snow someone had gone thru them with a Mantis Tiller[:)]

msbadger

RE: Winter trimming

Postby msbadger » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:35 am

Headed out to the new property today...have the trees scoped for new stands based part on the tracks and rubs I saw....this past few days of warmer...mid to high 30's....has the snow reseeding and the buds on the elderberry...bramble..rose and basswood plumping and greening up....kicked up 4 deer....looked through some nasty stuff couldn't find a shed any where...oh well [:)]

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:10 pm

Sounds like Your having a very busy Winter MsBadger...I think its a little early for Shed Hunting so keep looking cause they will be dropping from late Dec.,Jan,Feb and the first of March!Do You have any Trail Camera's out to see what Bucks are still carrying their antlers? 

boxcallkid

Postby boxcallkid » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:56 pm

I feel your pain........Also your excitment!
Your post always remind me of reading the MOTHER EARTH NEWS!
I in no way mean this as a rude comment, keep up the great work. I always enjoy your insight.
Like gramps used to say, "Why is it there's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over?"

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:53 am

Mother Earth News...have not heard that in years. 
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:56 am

I sure understand about the difficult time on cutting the oaks.  It hurts me everytime I put one on the ground, but sometimes it just has to be done.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:55 am

Ha... Mr B. gets MEN...I think it's gone too "yuppie" and well more ads than articles...but I suppose many mag. have gone that way....
Actually the cams have been brought in ..can't afford the batteries in winter[&:]...but I've kicked up deer from beds that had urine in them and no horns antlers on the deer...assuming from the "head plate" ...stance...and bed... they were buck..Have seen two different doe with last years twin fawns in tow...so I'm very happy....my little buck producers[:D]

Yes very busy...had two buck kids born ...one with problems and to a goat that needs to be forced to nurse....so every 2 hours I've been hitting the goat barn...knock on wood ..so far so good ..but sub zero temps on the way....

I have gotten a bunch of wild rose trimming done ...though my hands now look like I beat them with a wire brush!!...but I have the start of a new "natural trail" to get to a spot I know holds buck...I bought 2 Gander Mnt. basic ladder stands for 45.00 the other day one will go in that area...one for camp...this winter I'll make a shooting rail and perhaps arm rests for them...still have a few home made stands to start

Well the seed lists are made and I stock piled lime this past fall so I'll be set for spring...looking for a york rake...they are expensive so hoping for used...Mr. B. has been...gun shopping and ...well..pretty sure I won't have a problem getting the rake..new or used[;)]

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:51 am

Here is whats been keeping me busy....

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:27 pm

Awwwwww......those little Goats are so cute and cuddley MsBadger! :)

You do know I'm a Goat Hunter?.....the 1969 GTO Goats MsBadger! ;)

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:24 am

Image by Easter they'll be fat and tastie [;)]....hoping for cute cuddly little "girls" later this spring...they'll be staying

Next

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements