2009 Journal

DeanoZ

RE: 2009 Journal

Postby DeanoZ » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:38 am

email it to me massman and I'll see if I can put it up.  Went out yesterday morning and got busted walking to my stand...had a feeling it would happen, I'm fairly close to their bedding area and with the cold snap I was making a racket with all the leave crunching!  Got up in the stand and did not see a thing...took a walk once I got down and sure enough a doe bedded on the edge of the CRP field jumped....figures :-/.  Anyway, I'm done with the morning hunts...not a lot of action and its clear to me now they are doing more moving in the late afternoon.  I'll be in Flemington on Sunday...after the supposed snow storm we're getting so it should be interesting...hopefully I'll get lucky!

MassMan20

Postby MassMan20 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:41 am

Went 3-5 monday....saw one doe from start till end of hunt that it....was not fun walk to and from stand in snow lolol..hope your having some better luck DeanoZ..

p.s. im waiting for my mathews Z7 to come in before i take a doe for more meat

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:16 am

Well bro that's one more doe than I saw on Sunday afternoon, lol!  I figured with the fresh snow I'd get a jump on at least where they are at.  I went towards my usual spot but set a little more north by about 100 yards and right along some fairly fresh tracks that crisscrossed near my stand.  Thought for sure I'd at least see a doe, but nothing.  At the end of the hunt I drove past the other area I was contemplating hunting...sure enough there was a forkhorn at the edge of the CRP and road....I got a pretty good idea where their hiding out now, so hopefully next hunt I can get in the backyard. [;)]  Let me know how the new Z7 shoots, I'm in the market for a new bow and its either a Matthews or Bowtech.

soxfan

Postby soxfan » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:19 am

Hey MassMan, I was out monday too. Snow was real fun to walk through if you  like havin a heart attack..lol. I saw only 1 doe,  I jumped her on my way out. I had to leave 20 min earlier than I wanted to but I got an emergency call and had to leave. I wasnt really upset because I had a hard enough time getting to my stand, I think I definately would have had a stroke if I had to drag out in that snow.Wind was blowin a little too much also, but it was nice to be out in the fresh powder. 

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:03 pm

Hunted the WMA today.  Thought the deer would be moving early with the warmer than normal weather today...on my ride to the property I saw several deer moving along creek beds and powerline cuts.  When I walked to my stand a lone doe peeked out into the CRP field, she saw me and quickly turned tail.  That was the only sighting of the day, but did manage to see a nice fox and flock of turkey, so that made it worthwhile.

MassMan20

Postby MassMan20 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:26 am

Welcome soxfan...yea man snow really was not fun to walk in lol...its great when your in the stand....ok so got out on Wed and sunday...all doe about 20 in the two days out...but ill tell you im see the same doe everyday...they are all the doe that live there and by now they are so so so smart...all my stands need to be changed...not going to move anything this year bc the season over just about...wind has been really really bad...well good luck guys

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:44 pm

Got back in the saddle for my first winter bow hunt.  I hunted a different county park property this time with a friend whose had good success there.  Despie the promising sign, I did not see a single deer![:@]  I did however get a chance to try out my new HSS Vest, it performed flawlessly and the extra pockets are a welcome relief!  I am now 180+ hours on stand without a harvest...I must be a glutton for punishment.[8|]

soxfan

Postby soxfan » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:03 am

Hang in there, you will get yours. What park are you in now? I am in the Ramenissen park. I park off of Roberts rd. I recently had to move my stand because other hunters liked the area so much they surrounded me. I have been seeing some deer but nothing within 100 yrds...at least when it was light out. Good luck. 

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:42 pm

Hey Soxfan, I was hunting Ramenissan pretty much until the middle of December (right off Roberts road as well).  I actually had the opportunity to harvest does and forkhorns early in the season there, but passed in the hopes of holding out for a 6 point or better.  I won't make that mistake again!  Ramenissan was good early season and right up through the rut I could count on seeing deer and had shooting opportunities just about each time I went out.  But the place is too pressured now, and like you just about every spot I thought to hang a stand, someone had already hung one.  My best guess is they are hiding out close to the residential areas on the northeast corner and in the Lucent property.  So I moved on and was hunting a spot in Flemington which was good but has dried up as well.  Now I'm in the Bear Swamp Tract..or at least I was, so we'll see if that produces anything...I may check out the Shark River Tracts as well.  Thanks for the words of encouragement...I have not given up (came close this Saturday, lol), but I'll harvest one, just have to remain patient!  BTW I'm a sox fan too..Red Sox that is!

soxfan

Postby soxfan » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:34 am

Het Deanoz, glad to hear that you are a REDSOX fan. I took a nice size doe yesterday. She came up from the river and walked right out in front of me. I couldnt pass her up. Made a nice double lung shot and watched her run for about 40 or 50 yards turn look back and then fall over. I did think I was going to have a heart attack dragging her out but did manage to make it. My buddy and I will be butchering her up this afternoon and once again be enjoying some venison steaks! 

PreviousNext

Return to New Jersey