My son's first buck 10 pointer!!

pharmasea

My son's first buck 10 pointer!!

Postby pharmasea » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:00 pm

January 9th at 4:55PM my son got his first buck, a 10 pointer!! We hunt in Monroeville Alabama and it appears the rut might be getting started as this one responded to estrus urine in textbook fashion. We had a couple of does come out on the powerline at 4:22pm just upwind of the estrus scent and play around for about 20 minutes or so before moving up wind(blowing about 11mph Sat.) and off into the woods. Not long after that the buck came out right under our stand and headed staight towards the doe estrus. I could not see him because my son was on my lap, so he turned around to me slowly and pointed down and mouthed "right there" as he pointed down at him. I could not believe my eyes when I saw him....I have never shot a 10 pt. He eased the gun up, and although I knew he was a shooter, I whispered in Alex's ear to use the scope to judge if he was a shooter. He looked, turned around to me and gave me the thumbs up. By this time the buck had picked up pace and was at a trot with his nose down. I grunted to stop him which he did and turned to look back in our direction....Bam and off he took. I thought that Alex had missed him as he ran 150 yards or so up the powerline before taking a hard left into a briar thicket. "I think you missed" I told him. "NO, I got him, I know I hit him" he said, with the biggest grin you have ever seen on his face.
We sat there for 15 minutes before climbing down and looking for blood. Tracking was easy with a great blood trail, but why do deer always seem to run down hill into a creek bottom? I was exhausted by the time we got the buck out of the creek bottom, through the sticker thicket and out into the open, but the smile on Alex's face made the job worth it. I took 35 pictures over the next 2 hours, and you can't find a one of them were Alex doesn't have the biggest most genuine smile on his face!
Here are some pics if I can post them.
Joe and Alex
Gulf Breeze,FL
Main pics too large had to use one from camera phone

longbeards

RE: My son's first buck 10 pointer!!

Postby longbeards » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:18 pm

Great deer !! Congrats to you and Alex. I'm sure you are very proud of being apart of that experience. I am sure you have gained a hunting partner for life.

rob

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:23 am

That is awesome!!  [:)][:)]
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Sun May 09, 2010 2:45 am

Congrats to both of you that is a great looking first deer. Im bet dads smile is just as big as his in the pic.

bassslayer

Postby bassslayer » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:24 am

Congrats on the deer! Thats awesome.

Return to Alabama