Mock Scrape on Public land?

Tracks, Rubs, Scrapes, Trails, Etc.
Old Guy

RE: Mock Scrape on Public land?

Postby Old Guy » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:14 am

Alleganbowhunter

I question the licking branch choice it looks big but I'm not an expert. Looks good otherwise with good cover and all that.

I believe it was Goose an administrator for these forums had some great advise on mock scrapes I believe its in the: state by state>WI>hunting journal, check that thread out it had other hunters input also. I tried it on public hunting ground and it works.

Jerimy240

Postby Jerimy240 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:56 pm

In the public land I hunt, it has small fields throughout. Most our between 200-300 yards long and wide. I've spooked turkeys on these feilds, but I've never seen deer. I know they're there becuase there are many trails and tracks along the edges. With the pressure, is it worth hunting fields on public lands?
Summerville, SC

Jerimy240

Postby Jerimy240 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:58 pm

Alleganbowhunter, the licking/rubbing branch looks too tall and too thick.
Summerville, SC

arrowfinatic

Postby arrowfinatic » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:42 pm

I once read an article about a guy who was hunting a specific buck and his neighbor was also. They were competing I guess you could say. The author found a fresh scrape line from the buck.  So the author made a mock scrape line a ways away from the actual scrape line so the neighbor would see it and set up on it. Well the neighbor did exactly that....and the buck came into the mock scrape and the neighbor got the buck. Touche I say. On public land I will not use scents, calls, etc. Deer learn not to come to scents and calls in daylight after the have been shot at a few times. Pattern the hunters in the area and stay away from them even if you are next to a highway, get aerial photos, and do a lot of scouting if your in your stand more than you scout your messing up . Do your homework and your won't need any of that extra stuff.

Previous

Return to All About Deer Sign