Game Calls

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
HiddenHornsRanch

Game Calls

Postby HiddenHornsRanch » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:55 pm

As everyone knows there are virtually endless games calls out there. So many brands, types, and names. What kind does everyone use, and has it ever helped you before? I have a knight and hale translator and think its good, and I just bought their snort wheezer. I thought of trying a buck roar but has anyone else???
KINGSVILLE A&M JAVELINA

passin through

RE: Game Calls

Postby passin through » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:58 pm

Personally I like everything Primos makes... Thumbs up on the Buck Roar[:D]

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:48 pm

I use the primos buck roar along with the can work very well together the buck roar can be nice and soft or very load which is nice on the windy days.

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:20 am

i do like the buck roar for an all aoround grunt call, i was unimpressed with the growl from mad. i still have an old knight n hale ez- grunter that i like.

"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

bckklr

Postby bckklr » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:27 am

flex tone grunts are nice( solid rubber )if they bump something they are silent push the top of the call to go from fawn bleet to mature buck they came out with there own version of the growl style call ill try this year unless the turkey call company that i prostaff for comes out with there custom grunters before deer season like they are supposed to & then of course ill have to go with them visit the site & check it out the turkey calls are above & beyond anything you can get at walmart   hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com
adapt & overcome

hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:00 am

I'll throw out an option.  It's not your assembled-in-Mexico stuff.  It's handmade and it's heirloom-quality. 

Check this out:

These are his adjustable deer calls.

My buddy, Brian Warner, makes these in Haughton, LA.  He's got a website www.heirloomturkeycalls.com .  Check him out and tell him the shaman sent you.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:09 am

i use the growl the most i really love it.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

bckklr

Postby bckklr » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:26 am

yo shaman not bad looks like they are fresh off the lathe looks like the internals came from hut products ive spun a few myself recently are those 1 pc wood with plastic stoppers or do they have wood stoppers ? i agree anything made out back in the shed is better than some assembled crap from mexico ive been makin mine from cocobola with the adjustable internals they sound pretty good cant wait to blow one at a buck
adapt & overcome

hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:17 pm

I emailed Brian with your question.  Here is his answer:

[color="#0066cc"]The parts like the reed, tone board and expansion tube do indeed come from a distributor. The calls are turned from a single blank of wood, divided and then shaped and finished. Then the internal parts and expansion tube are added to complete the calls. I hope that helps. I do have plans to begin building our own tone boards and reeds in the future but when that will happen is still up for grabs. The workmanship and tuning are what makes the calls.[/color]

Feel free to contact Brian Warner at www.heirloomturkeycalls.com if you have any more questions.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:16 pm

I love the primos buck roar and the cans.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Next

Return to General Discussions