Tree Stand Recommendations?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Michael Denehy

Tree Stand Recommendations?

Postby Michael Denehy » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:18 pm

Hello all.  I am new to bowhunting on public land meaning I am not used to packing in and out a tree stand.  I am looking for advice on what you think is a great overall tree stand that fits the following criteria:

1- large enough for a 6'4 230 lb man
2- comfortable enough to carry a few miles in the woods
3- price not a major concern (I believe you get what you pay for) but I do not wan tot go crazy.

I have always built or permanently placed stands on my own land.  Now I am bowhuting on land I cannot leave permanent stands on.  What advice do you have for me?

Michael Denehy

ibewman

RE: Tree Stand Recommendations?

Postby ibewman » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:27 pm

ya just cant beat a summit
i didnt climb to the top of the food chain to eat soy burgers

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:41 pm

i love summit,they make em strong for us big guys.also lone wolf and loggy bayou.
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:03 pm

The Lone Wolf is easy to carry and quiet.

wack

Postby wack » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:17 pm

I've got a Lone wolf Alpha sit and climb and I love it, but I'm 6' 170 and with winter gear on I'm pretty snug in this climber. Not sure if it would be comfy for a bigger guy. As a smaller guy, this packs real close to the back so it feels even lighter and is easier to walk with. The Lone wolf stand and climb might be better for a bigger guy, not sure, haven't tried one yet. I had a Summit Viper and it was plenty big and comfortable once in the tree. I never used it much because it weighed too much, too clumbsy and I'd be soaked with sweat before I got settled in. I now use my LW climber more than ever just because it's easy to pack in and get set up.

Michael Denehy

Postby Michael Denehy » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:34 pm

Fantastic.  I appreciate it very much.  A good friend of mine is lending me his Summit Viper for the season since he will not be hunting this year.  I will give that a try.  I have looked at te Lone Wol website.  They might be worth a look see, too.  If anyone has more specific model recommendations I would appreciate it.

Thanks again guys.
Michael Denehy

wannabehuntin

Postby wannabehuntin » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:54 pm

Have any of you heard of TreeWalker climbing stands?  My neighbor bought one last year and he just absolutely raves about it.  He is supposed to be bringing it back from his deercamp so i can try it out.  It is kinda like an Ol' Man but alot better is what he says, and let me tell you this guy spends many hours in it guiding and videotaping for hunters.  After I try it out I'll elt you know what I think, but was just wondering if you all had any experience with them.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:13 am

ORIGINAL: Michael Denehy

A good friend of mine is lending me his Summit Viper for the season since he will not be hunting this year.  I will give that a try. 

Thats what I have.
Not difficult to lug around.
I also think it is rated for 300#

Summit does make some nice stands for sure
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

bowtech21

Postby bowtech21 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:53 am

I got a Summit Viper Ultra. When this one gets too old, I'll buy the same thing. Can't beat it. It's light, simple, quiet...couldn't ask for anything better. And it's a fairly decent price, i think it was 200 or 220 when i bought it.

fireflyparamedic

Postby fireflyparamedic » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:18 am

bowtech21. I was looking at the very tree stand you have yesterday in the cabela's magazine and was wondering about this particular model. Of course any graphic artest can make something look good in a magazine. How hard is it to climb in a climber? As soon as I get money I would like to get one since I can not place a permanent tree stand on the land I hunt. Any suggestions would be good. thanks
fireflyparamedic

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting