My first triatholon is in the books!

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
QDMAMAN

My first triatholon is in the books!

Postby QDMAMAN » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:50 am

At the ripe 'ol age of 48 I've become a grandfather for the first time and completed a sprint triatholon.
The triatholon was in Green Bay, Wisconsin.  At race time the temp was 45 deg. and the watyer temp was 63 deg.  Gotta Love the cheese heads and their flare for the unusual!
Big T

"Fear is interest paid on a debt you may never owe" - Unknown

kribbz

RE: My first triatholon is in the books!

Postby kribbz » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:46 am

CONGRATS MAN!!! I wish I had the drive to do something like that.  How long did it take you?

QDMAMAN

Postby QDMAMAN » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:43 am

ORIGINAL: kribbz

CONGRATS MAN!!! I wish I had the drive to do something like that.  How long did it take you?

Thanks kribbz!
The time I posted was 1:46.54 that was for a 400 yd swim, 16.5 mile ride, and a 5K run.  I started training (with purpose) around the first of the year.  Most of my training took place during my lunch break at work (bike and run) and I hit the pool 2-3 nights per week right after work. I worked out at least 5 days per week and did 2 of the 3 disciplines on a lot of those days ie: run/swim or ride/swim. Not enough ride/run though, that's changing now.
This is what I learned:
1) Get to the race at least 1 hr. before the transition area closes.  This allows for lay out of your gear, filling of water bottles, bathroom time (usually lines), and double checking everything.
When we arrived at the transition area they were announcing that it would close in 10 minutes.  I had the choice of using the head or filling my water bottle...boy I got thirsty.
2) That running is my weak link and the discipline that I need to work on the most.  This will improve with interval training at the track once per week and just logging for miles.  I also need to do more bike/run combo work outs so I transistion easier.
3) Minutes in transistion are an easy way to shave time off your overall time.  This is improved by being prepared and having your gear laid out in the transition area.  It seems like a small thing but when you hit the transistion area your mind is swimming and you're breathing heavy, clouding your judgement.  Plan ahead!
4) Spend more time setting up the bike to fit.  I'm riding an undersized bike (for me) and riding with my running shoes and stirrups.  Bike shoes and clips will increase my efficiency on the bike by 20% or more.  I'm also shopping for a new ride![;)]
5) Hydrate!  I cramped on the run 1 mile from the finish. Refer to #1 and get hydrated and fill water bottles for the ride.
6) Find a place to do an open water swim before hand.  This was difficult because of the unusually cold spring we've experienced here in Michigan.  Going forward for the summer I'll concentrate on at least 1 open water swim per week.
7) I continue to amaze myself with what's possible when I put in the work and get information from experts. The information I chose to ignore before hand would have benefited me had I applied it...I'm doing it now.  Also training with people that push themselves harder than you do, raises your performance threashold.
8) Improving core strength is a must, and something I've neglected. Sit ups and push ups are a simple and quick way to get started and then go from there and JPH's "workout of the week" can help as well.
Next up is July 5th in Benton Harbor, Michigan.  The swim will be in Lake Michigan @ 1/4 mile, 11 mile bike, and 3 mile run.  The swim could get interesting as water surface temps can change on a dime depending on wind direction not to mention we may have some impressive waves. With a shorter bike course I will hammer harder to shave minutes, interval training on the bike will improve this over the next 3 weeks.

Big T

"Fear is interest paid on a debt you may never owe" - Unknown

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:57 am

Congrats on a job well done man! By the time hunting season gets here you'll be ready to climb mountains looking for deer!

Floating Debris

Postby Floating Debris » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:11 am

uh oh...now you'll be hooked and signing up for ironman in Madison....

[;)]

drdaven

Postby drdaven » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:38 am

QDM,

I too am a Michigan triathlete.  Did my first one 5 years ago in Novi.  I am 45 now, according to U.S.A.T. 

This summer I competed in two events.  The first was in early July in Lexington, MI.  Friggid waters, but I was fine with it.  I live just off of Lake Huron so I am somewhat used to the chilly lake temps.  I can feel your pain with the lack of swimming, prior to the July race.  Just couldn't convince myself to swim with the air temp hanging in the upper 40's to mid 50's.

I was better prepared for the Olympic length race in East Tawas, MI.  The water temp was 71 degrees and the swim course is a breeze.  Half of the swim course is in about 5 to 6 feet of water.  If you get tired you just walk for a bit.  The bike course is advertised as one of the finest in the Michigan race circuit and it lived up to the hype. 

My plans for 2010 include an XTERRA race in June, the Lexington race in July (it is close to home),  and the Whirlpool 70.3 in late July. 

JPH and I are to start posting our weekly winter workout goals on here somewhere.  Figure it is a good way to "stay"  in shape, rather than have to "get" in shape after winter is over.  I have an indoor trainer for my bike and I would recommend you get one also.

You could post your accomplishments on here also.  Competition is a GREAT motivator.
Hunting the Michigan Thumbs agricultural mecca...farm country bucks taste the best.

marshhunter

Postby marshhunter » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:04 am

Congrats and welcome to the tri community. It is cool to have some fellow triathletes on a Deer Hunting forum. I have been doing tris for 4 years and did Ironman Wisconsin this year. The only negative I have found is that I tend to get cold easier when out in the woods because of lower body fat%. I certainly dont mind having this "problem".

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:19 am

So I have a question for you triathletes. I have several friends who are very competitive triathletes and while they have fantastic cardio, they sacrifice a lot of muscle.

Have you seen a decrease in your muscle mass or explosive strength as a result of tri training? 

epd68

Postby epd68 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:59 pm

marathon type running does sap muscle mass ....it has to to develope the conditioning needed to complete the task.........a different method recommended by my cardiologist will give you excellent cardio but will preserve muscle mass .....INTERVAL TRAINING.....get on the treadmill walk at a brisk pace for 2 minutes ...then jog at a moderate pace for two minutes ....then sprint as fast as possible (think of a bear chasing you ) for one minute......quickly slow the treadmill down to the brisk walk for 2 minutes...then jog at moderate pace for 2 minutes ....then sprint for the final minute as fast as possible.....yes its only 10 minutes but you will see astounding results without the wear and tear on your feet,knees and hips.....without sapping muscle mass......if you dont believe me just google olympic sprinter and then olympic marathon runner ..compare their physiques the sprinter will have a muscular more bulky look yet he is not slow by any means and his cardio fitness is not in question......then ask yourself which one would you rather fight

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:40 am

Excellent points epd68. I myself, am very into intervals. I try to spend as much time in the anaerobic range as possible and can vouch for the effectiveness.

My question was more for those who choose endurance sports, to see how this has effected their body mass and functional ability.

And before anyone thinks I am bashing triathlons, I am not. Any sport that encourages its participants to improve themselves the way triathletes do is great. I'm just curious to see how it has effected them in other areas.

Next

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness