7 pin sight

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
vipermann7

7 pin sight

Postby vipermann7 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:32 pm

Does anyone shoot a 7 pin fixed pin sight? How far can you get sighted in for on your last pin? does your sight picture get cluttered with all those pins?

PrairieShadow

RE: 7 pin sight

Postby PrairieShadow » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:59 pm

I personally have not used one but a buddy has one and when i have shot his bow it seems way to cluttered to me. I'll stick with the 5 pin as i have 1 pin for 20yds or less so i can have a pin out to 60yds. Thats plenty for me as i would never attempt to harvest an animal even at that distance.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:03 pm

i have 2 pins 20yrd and 30 yrd ,thinking of adding a 40yrd but thats it
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:45 pm

I have a 5 pin right now, well, its 4 pin because i broke my 5th pin. but i was thinking of getting a 7 pin for the added distance in practicing. i dont hardly use 4 pins for hunting, but i like to practice as far out as possible, just to be better at hunting distances and to keep the practice more fun. but im hesitant to buy a 7 pin, im afraid it might be too cluttered and make me mad. im also not sure if i will actually get more distance, or i will run out of adjustment space before i get back a considerable distance. i thought of going with a one pin that is adjustable, but i dont really want that for hunting, i like having the multi pin for hunting. i guess what i need is a job that pays me so much extra money i can just buy 50 different bows and set them all up differently to cover every possible need i could think of. anybody know where i can find a job that regularly hands out extra money to buy bows with?

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:39 pm

Anyone shot the g5 3 pins with one floater, my brother just got it in the mail yesterday so I havnt shot it yet but i did do some reading on it and it looks nice. It has three fixed pins like alot of them but it has a 4th pin that is movable with the turn of a dial. Youll have a tape on there with different yardages and just put the pin on the one you wanna shoot at. Good idea and you dont have to worry about seven pins. It also has a built in light with 6 or 7 brightnesses, two different pin sizes to choose from and is very light and solid. Looks very nice to me but like I said I did not shoot it yet.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:38 am

I use the trophy ridge 5pin and to tell you the truth I rarely use the 5th pin. My fifth pin is set at 50yds and almost at the bottom of my sight. 7 to me seems to cluttered. I'm going with a 3pin next time, and use the in between the pins for different distances.

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:41 pm

7 pins? Seriously?

Panman1949

Postby Panman1949 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:16 pm

ORIGINAL: mag30079

I use the trophy ridge 5pin and to tell you the truth I rarely use the 5th pin. My fifth pin is set at 50yds and almost at the bottom of my sight. 7 to me seems to cluttered. I'm going with a 3pin next time, and use the in between the pins for different distances.

I do this with a Trophy Ridge Flatliner 3 pin and like it well.  I like this sight.

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:22 pm

seven pins way to many for todays bows, i shoot 2 pins one at 18 yrds the other at 35yrds, that gets me out to 42 yrds...seven pins..does a bow even shoot that far!!!!!! better sight picture shoot between pins most times just takes feel and practice

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:37 pm

7 pins sounds like a lot, and for hunting it is, but i want to practice at greater distances. you cant ever be too good a shot, the farther you practice, the better you'll be closer up. olympic shooters shoot at 100 yards, so why not me too?

i did look for sights that had multiple fixed pin with one floater, i like that idea. trophy ridge used to make all their sights with models available in that configuration. i found a couple on ebay, so i emailed trophy ridge. but they havent made them in a couple years and dont plan to make more. i see there is a viper predator sight with that configuration, but thats the only one i can find. i will have to check into the G5 that was mentioned. i have a trophy ridge sight right now. i like the verticle pin alignment, but even more i love the no tool pin adjustment.

Return to Archery and Bowhunting