What do you do to fund your deer Hunting

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
clfenimore

What do you do to fund your deer Hunting

Postby clfenimore » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:58 pm

I make and sell traditional bowstrings and other archery supply on EBay I also have an archery shop in my home where I work on bows for friends and coworkers mostly and sell some supplies. It's about like having a part time Job that I love. I use the money to fund my hunting gas lodging etc. Every year I get a new stand or bow I buy and try any new archery gear coming out that looks interesting. I think this year I'll get my grandsons a bow and I want to Get a Ghost blind and try it out this springs turkey season and next fall deer hunting.

If a man cant hunt when he's living how the hell will he hunt when he's dead

ranwin33

RE: What do you do to fund your deer Hunting

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:11 am

Got to go with other.

I've got a good enough job that $$$ for hunting are not an issue for me. 

I've just got to get my wife to stop remodeling the house. [:)]
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Swandog09

Postby Swandog09 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:21 am

I am with Ranwin on this one, I am lucky enough to not have to worry about the cost. 

My issue is time/wife/work.  I travel a lot for work so it is not so easy to pack up for 2 or 3 days and go to my land when I am gone during the week for work.
That's why they call it hunting and not getting

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:35 am

I chose "Other," but I'm kind of wondering if the person who checked "I'm independently wealthy" would mind funding some of my hunting.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

passin through

Postby passin through » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:29 am

I try to spread it all out over the course of the year so it doesn't hit as hard.  Most of the time the regular j-o-b keeps everything covered but is i want something unusually large like a trip or a gun or anything real expensive.  i wait till i see a wind fall commission check or a little extra coming off the farm.  The thing that was killing me this year was the weekend life...50-100 bucks a weekend on grub, beer, gas and little stuff is about to drive me nuts.  
It matters not the weapon nor its caliber, rather the caliber of the one who wields it.

SHKYBoonie

Postby SHKYBoonie » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:58 am

I must say that there are several things I do to fund my hunting. From leasing parts of my land to Ag farmers, selective tree harvest, keeping my business running and too many others to list. Sometimes it seems to be more of a juggling act than anything but you do what you have to do.[;)] The few things that I do to help with buying new gear are ginseng hunting and custom turkey call making. I usually sell enough ginseng in the Fall to help out quite a bit and I make/sell around 30 custom turkey calls a year. These calls are all made to order. From wingbones to box calls, I usually make out pretty good with this too. Here's a few pics of one of my calls I made for St. Jude's Children's Hospital to raise money at their "Hunt for A Cure" Benefit. I make a couple of calls a year to donate to raise money for good causes. Every little bit helps.

metrx

Postby metrx » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:25 am

During these tough times for many, I am fortunate enough to have a career that pays well.  By no means am I wealthy, but live a middle-working class lifestyle.  I live in the suburbs, about an hour north of NYC.  I have a second home with land in upstate NY where I do most of my hunting, but also do alot of bowhunting around my primary home on both private and public land.  I am not an extravagent spender, pretty much have everything I could need for hunting, but usually mangae to buy something new every year as an upgrade.
I am fortunate to have a very loving and supportive wife, who encourages me to get out as often as possible to hunt, because she knows how much it means to me.  Due to our newest addition to the family this past July, I would say TIME is my biggest setback.  Juggling a career, family obligations, a newborn and everything else made it difficult to get out much this past season.    

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:52 am

I retired in 1998 after working 35 years for the same company . My 401K is doing well . I don't smoke , drink or gamble . When my kids , etc ask what I might want for Christmas , etc , I tell them a Dick's Sporting Goods gift card .
I used to find it difficult to spend money on myself and was frugal / cheap . I don't buy top of the line but I do purchase quality . I have purchased policys that will take care of my kids when I croak but watch them pee away money of rediculous stuff . So , I figured at 68 , I should enjoy life . I bought my 1st ATV ever last spring . If I need something for hunting , I buy it . I just hope that you young folks keep paying into the Social Security System as I need that money .
My wife is very understanding about my hunting and doesn't plan too much from mid October to mid December . She did mention something once about my hunting and I reminded her that her father was the one who got me started with deer hunting ! [8|]
Life is Good ! [:)]..[:)]..[:)]..[:)]..[:)]
Semper Fi !

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:05 am

My wife and I both worked 33+ years as nurses at the Cleveland Clinic. Saved as wisely as we could and still enjoy life. Retired 3 years ago. House is paid for. Farm is paid for. Life is good.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:38 am

I run my own business, and up until the past year and a half, I always used the "petty cash" I generated and it was never a problem. Now, I'm down to selling body parts. I'm about out of expendable internal organs, and am considering limbs, but that makes shooting a bow awfully difficult. [;)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Next

Return to Breaking News