Shed hunting

gunther89

RE: Shed Hunting

Postby gunther89 » Mon May 11, 2009 9:18 am

I try and get out as much as I can.  I don't really like the city which is where I live.  
Scott

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Mon May 11, 2009 5:00 pm

Yeah gunther is an outdoor freak. He's walking the woods and scouting as much as he can. Most of the time I'm out there with him, but I can't always make it- like this past weekend when he found another shed![:D]

So far over the past 2 years his shed count is at 7 and mine is a big 0.[:(]
Kyle

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue May 12, 2009 2:15 am

Yeah he has told us he plants them....
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Tue May 12, 2009 4:17 am

Might be because I don't have my cell phone out all the time BWB.[:D]
Scott

SwampFox

RE: Shed hunting

Postby SwampFox » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:22 am

Never hunted sheds before but Ive always wanted to try it.  When I was working at O'Leno State Park we had several nice sets some of the other rangers found while conducting prescribed burns but I never found any myself.  Then again I was never really looking for them.

bonecollector23

RE: Shed hunting

Postby bonecollector23 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:28 pm

I shed hunt all over florida and i have alot of success. Its almost time for the horns to start dropping so if u wanna trade info maybe we can get together for a hunt.

SwampLife

RE: shed hunting

Postby SwampLife » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:03 am

no. well, depends on the area and available cover...

there was a great article in one of the popular mags a couple months ago about misconceptions of mature bucks leaving the county when they get pressured... usually their home range encompasses several 'sanctuary' type areas. if you directly bump him or he comes across your scent, yes he may avoid the area for a while. But will return when he feels it is safe. That was the gist of the article anyway...(they had examples of radio collared bucks and whatnot)

deer are used to a certain degree of human presence in most areas...farmers, land surveyors, timber companies, powerline workers, gas line attendants, etc...for the most part it is impossible for bucks to completely vacate every area that gets intruded by a human.

shed hunting season to me is about the only acceptable time of year to be in those sanctuary areas.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

SHKYBoonie

RE: shed hunting

Postby SHKYBoonie » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:36 am

From my experience, this is the only time that you can be safe in entering an old bucks core area, his bedding areas that is. You are not going to hurt anything if you push him out for now. It will not take him long to come back into the same area and go back to his normal ways. Besides you have until next hunting season for him to forget about it. I have been doing this for years and this the only time of the year we actually go into the sanctuaries and we still see the same buck year after year. This is also some of the best info you can get for next years hunt. I owe alot of success to shed hunting/scouting this time of year.

I went yesterday during our "snow storm" with my dog. He found 4 sheds. One half of a 10 point, a matching 8 point, and half a shed of a 4 point. If you find sheds in an area, you can bet that buck will be there next year unless he dies between here and there.

Ohio farms

RE: shed hunting.

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:19 am

Nuts....the picture was too big.  sorry
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

WiredToHunt

RE: shed hunting.

Postby WiredToHunt » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:28 am

I would really be interested in hearing some different tips and tricks for shed hunting.

I've heard all the basics, like "look in bedding areas"...but are there any other gems out there that you guys have picked up over the years?
Wired To Hunt
The Deer Hunting Blog for the Next Generation
http://www.wiredtohunt.com

PreviousNext

Return to Florida