whitetail buck with fang or vampire teeth

Tracks, Rubs, Scrapes, Trails, Etc.
BucknA

RE: whitetail buck with fang or vampire teeth

Postby BucknA » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:36 am

That is a genetic throwback, for the lack of the technical term. Ever see someone that resembles a neandertal, or picture of human babies with a tail?

Recessive gene.

Bryan78

Postby Bryan78 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:22 am

Wow that was interesting.  Anyone ever saw a Doe with antlers before?  Now that is a true freak of nature!

pickleguy

Postby pickleguy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:35 am

Does with antlers are more common than you think.
�If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.It is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved

Pursuit Hunter

Postby Pursuit Hunter » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:22 am

Nice lookin' mount. Cool deer.
Hunting takes place before you climb into your stand. Everything after that is just shooting. TM

www.pursuithunting.com

Semper Fi

IsitInTREES

Postby IsitInTREES » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:58 pm

crazy!
Don't focus on the destination, Enjoy the Journey

Bowtech1670

Postby Bowtech1670 » Mon May 24, 2010 12:22 pm

Not sure if this was posted here yet or not, the "Vampire" buck or fanged whitetail"not only bucks" happens in one in about every 10,000 whitetails, ancient deer species had these fangs and the trait still shows up everynow and again
QDM is a choice, not a law!!!

Buckfin

Postby Buckfin » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:04 am

I shot a buck with fangs just like that in southwest Michigan a few years back. I believe that it's a genetic throw back.
I live with fear every day of my life... but she lets me hunt and fish so I can't complain.

AlleganBowhunter

Postby AlleganBowhunter » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:06 pm

I was reading the October Petersons Hunting mag and Boddington had an article on the "Fanged Deer of England." 

Seems one of the kings imported a bunch of Chinese Water deer and Muntjac's in the 19th century, and they are doing well across the pond.  They are small deer, around 20 inches and 25lbs for male water deer and male Muntjac are about the same but up to 35 pounds (from a brief google search).  Both have fangs, the Water deer's are larger. 

I instantly thought of this thread.  I am not a scientist, but imagine these fanged deer never lost them from the prehistoric days... and would think the mutations hunters have seen in the US are fall backs like someone above mentioned.

Here is a link to a Chinese Water deer skull:
http://www.skullsunlimited.com/record_s ... hp?id=1468

And a Muntjac skull:
http://www.skullsunlimited.com/record_v ... hp?id=4030
Very cool skull mount, I never paid much attention to the mouths of the deer I kill or help process..  I will now! 

Thanks for sharing.
Aim for the center of the target... the center of an aspirin is the same size as the center of a basketball. The difference is mental.

John in Michigan.

Previous

Return to All About Deer Sign