Hunting shows

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Sailfish

Hunting shows

Postby Sailfish » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:41 am

I love the hunting shows out there. Some more than others.
Mostly I get out of it is shot placement/angles and the viewing of the game. And the fact it's the best substitute I can get til the season starts. I DVR everything I can on 3-4 outdoor channels.

But I gotta tell ya I am kind of bothered by the fact that most shows are taped/filmed on large ranches, fenced or otherwise. THe scenario's the hunters encounter are far far far from what you and I will encounter ever in our lives. Not sure how many times I have been able to pass up on a 140 class knowing that "there's gotta be something better out there".

And I know we all have had success with rattling, or grunting, or our plots etc, but it's just amazing how slanted it is to see 15 bucks in 10 minutes cuz some guy is sitting on a deer farm in a stand over a feeder and the door opens suddenly there are all your deer. It's not the fact that they are on a farm, but really, they could hunt in shorts (I have seen it by the way), cook bacon on a hibachi and the deer would still show up.

I really wish the shows would be more slanted towards the everyday guy (not all of us have $5k to take a trophy). Hunting his 40 acres, or public land, and see what him/her go through to get their deer. The prep, the scouting, the set-up, the morning of etc. You know? The real-life everyday guy.

Just my thoughts today.

"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

msbadger

RE: Hunting shows

Postby msbadger » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:09 am

Sailfish...I watch dvd's and really enjoy them ...can't speak to the hunting shows because one summer day many years ago my kids said they had nothing to do when I tried shooing them out of the house...NOTHING to DO on 50 acres!  I said I'll show you nothing to do...picked up the phone and cancelled cable!...They never said that again ...but we'er still using rabbit ears...lol....Any how I'd like to see them hunting in states like... hey... N.Y....P.A. ...OR....arkansa....someplace other than Texas...WI. ...Ill....Canada

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:54 am

LOL, Ms.B now that's tough love! Sailfish ,I have to agree with you,they make a great show,but the shows today kinda ruin the hunt for the new hunters. They watch these shows, go out and exspect to see that show played out in front of them. They have to relize it may take all season to see that booner walk out from the bushes in front of them, if it happens at all. I noticed some of the new shows have a couple guys filming their hunt for points,to compete with a bunch of other hunter teams. I'm kinda wondering if this type of tornament hunting is good for the image of hunting in general?
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:05 am

I happen to know that the Drurys are fair chase. I could do withot "Coondog" though. 

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:59 am

I think deer hunting should'nt be a competion. I hunt to enjoy the outdoors,not to up-stage everyone in the woods.  Never heard of "coondog", of course I only watched part of the show a few times.

gard73

Postby gard73 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:00 pm

A realistic hunting show would be nice. But honestly who's going to pay 20 bucks to watch a guy or gal sit in a stand for hours. (unless it's Tiffany L.) Without much action like most of us go thru. You might buy it once but probably not again.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:07 am

I watch occassionally the hunting shows if nothing else is on. I subscribe to some Comcast sports subscription so I get quite a few shows with OLN/Versus, the Outdoor Channel and the Sportsmans Network or something like that.  About ready to cancel the subscription though, after 6 months the shows all seem about the same. 

Can't say I have any real favorites or any I really dislike, other than Uncle Ted (let the flaming begin).  I do watch him though to see what fabrication he will come up with on his show - let's see, deer hearing a single acorn dropping from a quarter mile away, a 150 class deer that was obviously 120 at best, a perfect shot that was far from perfect, knowing he severed an artery simple by looking at the wound, an old mature deer that couldn't be more than 2.5 years old, and the most recent one, most police officers die in the line of duty because they run out of ammunition. 

If I had to pick a favorite it would probably be Jim Shockey, particularly those shows when his dad is along.

I do like the QDMA show, Deer and Deer Hunting TV when it was on, the Management Advantage, and Get in the Game as they have more to do with wildlife management than hunting. 

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:32 am

I have to agree Ted does seem to tell tall tales, but don't we all? I also think Tiff should dump Lee and make her own show, I'd pay good money to watch her for days on end, bow hunt in a camo bikini! [:D]          The QW tv,and D&D hunting show are A rate in my opinion. I think the two programs should become a joint promotion myself.  Sure is nice to see them P&Y'ers go down but,  I'd like to see more average hunters on the shows than the "pro's" harvesting mega bucks from a private deer herd all the time.  

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:19 am

http://www.myoutdoortv.com/ you can catch up on a lot of good hunting shows free
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:25 am

ORIGINAL: EatDeer

...I also think Tiff should dump Lee and make her own show, I'd pay good money to watch her for days on end, bow hunt in a camo bikini! [:D] ...

I do believe they did a show where she was bow fishing on a river somewhere.  And yes I did watch that one in its entirety.

If QDMA and D&DH joined in a show it would definitely be on my watch list.

Next

Return to General Discussions