Shed hunting

bowman12

RE: shed hunting.

Postby bowman12 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:55 am

In our area of heavy snow, it's best to wait until the snow melts and the vegetation hasn't had a chance to start growing. They really stick out. If I can find where they've wintered I'll hit the jackpot. I found thirteen in one trip 2 years ago.

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:11 am

ORIGINAL: WiredToHunt

I would really be interested in hearing some different tips and tricks for shed hunting.

I've heard all the basics, like "look in bedding areas"...but are there any other gems out there that you guys have picked up over the years?

Look along fence rows.  Sometimes when a buck jumps the fence the force of him hitting the other side will jar the antlers loose.  Also look along trails if your looking when there is snow on the ground.  I have also found them under apple trees and maybe look near a spring or creek that didn't freeze during the winter.
Scott

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:11 pm

i have found most of mine in cornfields, during turkey before they plow it, or sometimes they dig up old ones when they plow. Whenever i go looking for them, i never find them, always by accident. But i would guess any late season food source would be good.

Resized that pic for you... He's going to be a dandy =)

NortWoods

Postby NortWoods » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:26 pm

I have found more sheds on the outside edge of bedding areas rather than in them.  Such as the outside edge of young aspen stands or alder thickets.

SHKYBoonie

Postby SHKYBoonie » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:45 pm

The No. 1 place I find more sheds than anywhere are in honeysuckle thickets. Look for the trails that lead into/out of thickets with low branches or vines they may have to navigate through. The antler gets caught in them and pulls them off. Always look several feet on each side of the trail because if they are running when they come off, they could go a good distance before stopping. My No. 2 spot is fence crossings going into/out of fields. I always find at least a few in these spots. No. 3 is bedding areas. Look under every treetop on the ground. This time of year they like to crawl under these to escape the weather. They usually have some type of canopy over them which pulls the antler off. Other than that, they will just be where the deer go. They could fall off anywhere in between bed and feed. Hope this helps!
Hunt as though your life depended on it, because one day it just might!

msbadger

RE: shed hunting

Postby msbadger » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:22 am

You would think with being able to take pics like this from my porch ...I'd find at least one shed some where but nope...I think after gun season that the buck that make it leave the hill and return later [8|]...now I have seen a couple based on beds and tracks but no racks....yesterday I kicked up a bunch of deer ...fox and a yote....then 8 came in and feed past the house and through the woods...5 this morning...Know I'll take 2 doe off land this coming season...

WiredToHunt

RE: shed hunting

Postby WiredToHunt » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:31 am

Awesome tips guys, thanks!
Wired To Hunt
The Deer Hunting Blog for the Next Generation
http://www.wiredtohunt.com

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:39 am

Thanks Swamplife.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:36 am

Maybe I'm backwards, but I've always had the best luck when I'm just generally scanning an area as opposed to trying to pick apart each little bit of a piece of ground.  Usually the brightness of the antler makes it really pop from the surrounding background.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

arpy00

Postby arpy00 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:33 am

Be sure to carry some binocs....you can easily cover more ground.

PreviousNext

Return to Florida