Deer Stand Design

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
clfenimore

RE: Deer Stand Design

Postby clfenimore » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:24 pm

Here is a couple of pictures of the climbing stand I made I have bungees to hold it on my feet and then sort of shimmy up a tree I also have a climbing aid though I usually don't use it. as you see the seat is just a strap on to the tree seat after I'm up the tree I hook my safty harness then put a strap around the band and tree then strap the seat to the tree.

If a man cant hunt when he's living how the hell will he hunt when he's dead

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:42 pm

ORIGINAL: timer

Can anyone give me direction on where to go for plans for building a permanent deer stand? I'd like to build a stand that is large enough for two and will be durable enough to last for at least 10-15 years. I'm sure there are lots of plans out there, but I'd appreciate info from someone who has taken the plans, built the stand, and used it for at least a couple of years.

My carpentry skills are limited and I will have to hire someone to build the stand.

Thanks in advance to all who respond.

Timer,
Try this link, it might have what your looking for:  www.huntingblindplans.com/articles.htm
I can across this site while searching for stand info.

nateberly

Postby nateberly » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:46 am

We have put three of these stands up on our property. One guy builds it at home and then marks it and takes it apart and brings it up to the cabin. I think the platform is about 52" square, enough for two if needed. We have swivel office chairs in them. I think they cost about $350 total. It took us about a day and a half to put it up. treated 4X4 legs and all other wood is treated as well. We use carpet as siding. Really blocks the wind and muffles sound.
We did use a tractor to put it up, but I think if you had some extra 2x4s you could make push rods to lift it up and use rope to let it settle down slowly. We built just the platform and legs (with supports) minus the floorboards, on the ground. then lifted it and then assembled it the rest of the way. We used nuts and bolts to put it all together, mostly 1/4 20s for the supports, but we used one size larger for the corners where the platform connects to the leg.
You can see the ladder that we use to get up it, its just made of 2x6s with 2x4 steps and made long enough, and wide enough, for an easy climb, some of our hunters aren't too nimble.
We used scrap 2x6 or 2x8 pieces to put under the legs to help level it.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:45 am

Here is one my son built between two big oaks a few years ago . It's 6' X 7' with plenty of headroom and almost 20' off the ground . Drop down windows for shooting .

Semper Fi !

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:50 am

" We use carpet as siding. Really blocks the wind and muffles sound."

I like your idea about the carpeting for the sides. Critters enjoy chewing on the plywood sides of mine.  Is wet carpeting a problem for you? 
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Swandog09

Postby Swandog09 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:54 am

Here are pics of the construction we did last summer.  The total cost was about $350-$400.  Sorry I don't have any real drawings or measurements as we kind of build on the fly. 

The wood for the base and frame is all treated and new.  The siding is recycled wood from the soffit of my Dad's house (it was all tongue and groove so it work great).
That's why they call it hunting and not getting

ZEEK

Postby ZEEK » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:05 am

timer. Check out these things called elevators. Sportsmans Guide sells them (among others) for about $70.00. They are steel brackets that hold 4x4's and 2x6's to make a free standing platform. I made mine a 6'x6' platform and I put a pop up blind on top. DVD instructions are included. I built one myself and I'm no carpenter by a long shot. I'm sure you can handle the job. You will need someone to  help stand it up. Cost about $300. Not including the blind (all pressure treated).Yeah you can use two elevators and make a treestand, those directions are included as well.
Not knowing where you are going is the best way to get
somewhere you've never been.

J. Peterman.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:48 pm

Nice setup Swandog...just add deer.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Swandog09

Postby Swandog09 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:47 am

Ohio farms,

Thanks, I knew we forgot something...Unfortunately, not much activity out of that stand this year.  Hopefully the locals will be used to by next season. 
That's why they call it hunting and not getting

Previous

Return to Tree Stands