2009 Journal

DeanoZ

RE: 2009 Journal

Postby DeanoZ » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:39 pm

Massman...sounds like you got the right setup...you have to let me know how you like the Optix XR2 sight, I've had my eye on that one for my next set up so I'll be interested to see how it works out for you.  I'm betting with the Z7 your stationary pin is probably good from 15-40 yrds without moving it.

Soxfan, I'll be on stand around 1500...its going to be touch and go tomorrow though depending on the storm...thre is a spot I've been wanting to hunt but the winds are never quite right...tomorrow looks like they will be so I'm going to give it shot.  Its near the thick stuff and I'm betting with eh approaching storm the deer will be headed for it or venturing just outside of it come feeding time...figure its worth shot, got nothing to lose at this point in the season, lol.  Good luck saturday, your goign to have a lot of snow!

MassMan20

Postby MassMan20 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:17 am

hahah i got no wife to worry about..im only 22 so i got some time and the gf has no say lol...the stationary pin is good till about 30 then it starts to drop(im sure i could 100% use it to 40 but i dont see the point but thats the person shootings call)...very very small drop but i dont want to have to think about hold higher on the deer if i dont have to...i start the hyb pin at at 30 and will stop at 50C..cant shoot much more then that in the woods i hunt so(can set it for long shots at another time)...it a great sight the hyb pin is nice all you have to do is trun the nob and put it on the mark you want...you can mark it how you think by every 5 yrd 10 yrd or even by the yard if you like...im really happy with it...great sight, great bow dam near knock the target over everytime i hit it

boopie8166

Postby boopie8166 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:42 pm

Thanks Massman and Raynin Blood!  It was all on the little guy, you guys ever try Tom DiRisio in Washington Township.  He's the one who sets up our bows, we learned a lot from him.  If you bought that z7 already, you should give him a call to see if he can beat the price and get a full setup.  This guy knows what he's talking about, an international and national archery champion.  He won't let you walk out the door until its fully customized to you only and you can fire off three shots with a perfect grouping!  Well worth every penny!  If you guys are interested its Strictly Archery on Route 57 in Washington NJ.  his number is 908-689-5800.  Good Luck
Charlie
IN MY WORLD FASTER IS BETTER

soxfan

Postby soxfan » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:54 am

Hey DeanoZ, how did you make out yesturday? I was hoping to see a blog from saying you got one. Did you go in the east field? I will hopefully be out most evenings next week. Let me know if you can sneak out.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:16 am

FINALLY!!!!  Well my fellow Jersey Hunters I finally put one down in Raminnessin.  Small doe but considering the way my season went I'm pleased to just put some meat in the freezer!  So here is the story behind it.  There is a strip of woods along one of the fields that backs up against the scrub in the center of the park.  I knew the deer were traveling up and down that strip to get to the scrub when they bed and as a travel corridor, but I needed a East/Southeast wind when hunting it and the winds for the most part have always been North/Northwest.  Well i figured with the weather coming yesterday late afternoon the deer would stay close to the scrub and at about the bewitching hour the winds were predicted to be coming out of the east/northeast...not perfect but it 4th and 10 for me so I figured I'd play my hunch.  Sure enough I caught some movement about 40 yards out in the scrub an turned just in time to see a tail slip through the scrub.  She turned about and came towards me but was holding behind a tree at about 30 yards out.  I was not comfortable with the shot, but told myself if she stepped out another couple yards and held quartering away at the one shot window I had, I would take it.  Sure enough she stepped out, quartered away slightly, I drew back and let it fly.  I heard the distinctive thwack, but for some reason my luminocks did not work, but as she bounded away I saw I had hit her...but it was further back than I wanted.  I watched her walk off for about 40 yrds and then lost sight of her.  Could have sworn she bedded down within sight but again was hard to tell if that was her.  I waited about a half hour, then got off my stand and went to recover my arrow.  Found the arrow buried to the fletchings but no sign of blood...sniffed the arrow and as I suspected it was a paunch shot.  Normally I would have backed out, but with the snow storm coming I wanted to at least find a blood trail, so I followed a well worn trail for another 5 yrds and found a pin drop of blood, followed it another 5 yards, then more blood...20 yrds later I had good blood , I looked up and there she was another 20 yards ahead and down hard.  I held there, marked the trail in and backed out to call a friend and get my game recovery gear.  My friend and I went back in an hour later, found her, gutted her and dragged her out.  But boy did that rage two broadhead do some serious damage.  It blew a soft ball size hole out the other side of her, so despite my poor shot placement she went down not 40 yrds from where I shot her and quickly!  Anyway, was a tough season for me, I had to work really hard for that doe which makes it all that much more bittersweet I guess.  Appreciate everyones help and support!

Rayning Blood

Postby Rayning Blood » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:40 am

Way to go Deano!!!Like I said earlier,anything goes.At least you got something.A doe is a great thing to be draggin out right now.2 weeks left,still got time for at least 1 more!Plus a little snow makes it easier to see em.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:38 am

Thx Rayning blood, yes with the snow on the ground will sure make it easier to find them.  But I think I'm done for the season.  I've put over 200 hrs on stand and the wife has had enough, lol!  I might go out once more we'll see.  Soxfan, yes I was halfway down the east field, right on the inside edge of the thickets.  Ran into a guy from staten island hunting there for the first time, he saw 7 does earlier in the morning.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:46 am

Here is Boopies sons buck...its a dandy too....well done!

soxfan

Postby soxfan » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:18 am

Way to go DeanoZ!!!!! You put in alot of hard hrs, that will make those steaks taste even better! Were you on the side of the field next to the stream or next to that thick stuff in the bowl. If you next to the bowl it sounds like you were next to my stand. I am near the corner of field, about 50 yrds from where the trail goes into woods. That corner is HOT in the evening. That looked like a huge hole your broadhead made! That was your exit hole? Awesome... she didnt stand a chance. Again, way to go. Next year, take her early in the season and then wait for a nice buck. That will take the pressure off..lol, and make sitting and not getting a shot a little easier. I hope you can get out a couple more times so we can hook-up, if not, good job and good luck next year in your private property.
   Boop, nice job by your son too!!! Looks like a nice old buck. You are so lucky. My son is 14 and doesnt have any interest in hunting. He loves eating it but doesnt like sitting for hours waiting. Too boring for him.   

boopie8166

Postby boopie8166 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:06 am

Thanks Deanoz for posting my little guys pic!  We are so proud of his first harvest, not only can he brag to his buddies but we have a bunch in the freezer too!  Great job on the doe, I know its not what you expect, but lately, the harvesting has been a bit on the low side these past years.  Guess all them cars are getting em before we can!  Soxfan, thanks for the compliment.  One day we should all get together for a beer!

Good luck again!
charlie
IN MY WORLD FASTER IS BETTER

PreviousNext

Return to New Jersey