400-Pound Buck NOT a Fake

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Ben Sobieck

400-Pound Buck NOT a Fake

Postby Ben Sobieck » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:11 am

Remember this guy? You probably saw him in your e-mail recently. Details varied according to the source. He's a 410-pounder from Canada. He's a 400-pound Michigan buck. He's the missing link between deer, moose and Bigfoot.

The truth is out now. The buck is not a fake, but it was killed within a high fence operation. Click here to read more.

metrx

RE: 400-Pound Buck NOT a Fake

Postby metrx » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:05 am

I think its funny how the outfit calls themselves "Wilderness Whitetails"...thats as far from the truth as can be, I thought.

Great buck...the best money can buy.  The guy who shot that buck should be in the same catagory with Barry Bonds breaking the homerun title. 

Another great debatable topic...fair chase vs. fenced hunting.

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:23 am

It might not be a fake deer, but I don't think many forum members see high fenced hunting(?) as real hunting. Myself included. It makes me wonder how many who hunt at Wilderness tell the true story behind their "hunt".
Dave M.

Swandog09

Postby Swandog09 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:32 am

He probably hand feed the deer the night before.  This is the opposite of my signature "that called getting not hunting"
That's why they call it hunting and not getting

bowman12

Postby bowman12 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:42 am

Each to his own I guess. It's still an amazing deer and he sounded super happy to get him. Sounds like he may have had to actually "hunt" for him too, but when it's only 800 acres, eventually you'll probably get a chance at him. Something I'd never want to do but like I said, each to his own.
Holy smokes I looked at the prices and that's just crazy! Up to $10,000 for a monster buck! I'd be more excited if I shot a 130" wild buck that I hunted on my own compared to a high fenced monster, and that only costs the price of my tag! $10,000 is a lot of money to me, but it must not be to most of the hunters that go there.

metrx

Postby metrx » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:21 am

I just read about the cost of the hunts on this ranch.  A 170 class buck will set you back $10,000.  Anything into the 180s and up will set you back $10,000 plus a "trophy fee".  For instance, a 190 class buck is $10,000 plus a $5,000 trophy fee.  Anything 200" or more is $10,000 plus a trophy fee that is "determined on an individual basis".  They must charge per inch if the deer is over 200.  I guess you get to pick your buck from the pen and they let him loose in the fenced preserve for you to hunt (for lack of a better term).  It says they have a total of 800 acres in total on their farms...it doesnt say how big each plot is.  They may have 80 ten acre plots...who knows.  

If I had the money, I still wouldnt do it.  I would have no problem going to an outfitter, but it would have to be fair chase, no fences and a 100% wild animal. 

scotman

Postby scotman » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:05 am

Hopefully these hunters are not nor ever will make it into any record books. I believe in fair chase hunting deer within a fenced in enclosure is not fair chase. The fenced deer get used to human activity that they can not run from, that means the deers senses don't come into play.

If you think I am lying just watch any of Ted Nugents hunts and see how the animals tolerate excessive movement. The animals are used human activity and are just looking to feed at the feed pile because the rest of the enclosures nature habitat is depleted. Some hunt huh?

I replaced deer with hunters because it is the hunters and owners fault not the deers fault. The whitetail deer is just being exploited in this "big bucks sell" industry no more no less.
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:31 pm

That's kinda like shooting a pig in a pig-pen and calling it Wild Hawg Hunting ! My 2 cents .............
Semper Fi !

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:53 pm

its pretty obvious a deer cannot be that fat in the wild.

he looks happy, so good for him.

on a side note, its tough to judge his score because his body is so enormous.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

badtoys

Postby badtoys » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:25 pm

they should have 2 different books for records 1 for fenced deer and 1 for wild deer real hunting

Next

Return to Breaking News