Looking for a good Scope for my slug gun

Brett Ulrici

RE: Looking for a good Scope for my slug gun

Postby Brett Ulrici » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:47 pm

My wife, son and I all slug hunt (Illinois resident). We all had had Simons 4X on our shot guns for years.. never an issue.. the absolute best you can get for under $100 scope... 

This year i stepped up to a Leupold 3-9X..  So I can get out to the 200 yrd range.. 

I also like the Nikon.. but not the BDC.  I have found that each guns likes a certain shell and was not able to use a BDC as it was ment to work.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:49 am

I was thinking of getting a red dot too, but after reading through these comments I'm second guessing myself.  I have a Rem 870 Express Magnum, rifled barrel.  I have a friend that has a red dot 30mm scope and he swears by it...Says that it's tough to pick up a moving deer with a reg. scope. 

What are everyone's thoughts on this again?  I have heard good things about the Slughunter. 
QDM!

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:35 am

I have a T/C Hawken Hunter scope on my shotgun. It is 1.5-5X32. The scope has around 4.5" of eye relief, and can handle the nasty recoil of a shotgun.
I have been so impressed with it's accuracy, that my .30-06 has one, and my .308 is gonna get one!

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:43 pm

I have a Leupold Vari-X III, 1.5X5, that I used on my last two slug guns, and has sat atop my Browning A-Bolt slug gun now for the past 9 years. It isn't cheap, but it is WELL WORTH IT, for the years of dependable service it's given me.

I leave mine on 2X, and only crank it up to 5X if I have a shot that I know I will have time for.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

longbeards

Postby longbeards » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:04 am

I have a Rem 870 Express Super Mag, and put a Worldclass Tasco 3x9x40. The scope is not very expensive but it does the job very well. The 40mm does a better job at picking up your target quicker, as well as, seeing better than the 32mm during low light conditions. Again, that's something that I prefer.

rob

Powell1120

Postby Powell1120 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:09 pm

ORIGINAL: buckhunter21

I was thinking of getting a red dot too, but after reading through these comments I'm second guessing myself.  I have a Rem 870 Express Magnum, rifled barrel.  I have a friend that has a red dot 30mm scope and he swears by it...Says that it's tough to pick up a moving deer with a reg. scope. 

What are everyone's thoughts on this again?  I have heard good things about the Slughunter. 

I think that the red dot scope definately requires some gettng used to if you have used a traditional scope much at all. I just put a new scope on my shotgun this year. I got a RedHead accent 1.5-4 power and love it. Before that I just had a weaver 4 power. To answer your question, I have only ever had 1 deer that I could not find in my scope, and I blame that on a fast deer on a snowy morning. We party hunt during shotgun season, the deer are always running hard, mostly because the guys I usually hunt with usually walk way too fast but that is a different story.

vambo991

RE: Looking for a good Red Dot Scope for my slug gun

Postby vambo991 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:31 pm

I'm a Leupold guy, but I have to admit... I put a slughunter on my H&R 20 gauge... I love the 5 " of eye relief. Doubt I'll ever use the BDC circles but the scope is good quality for the money.

vambo991

RE: Looking for a good Red Dot Scope for my slug gun

Postby vambo991 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:35 pm

If you want a red dot type sight though, try an Eotech, they're kind of expensive but very quick-to-target and accurate.

metrx

Postby metrx » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:36 am

On my 12 gauge Remington 870 Express I have a Pine Ridge (Cabelas) 2.5x7scope.  It has nice heavy duplex crosshairs, its good in lowlight conditions and the price was right.  It not the best or most expensive scope but it does the job.
I'm not a big fan of the red dot scope for hunting...just personal I guess.

Previous

Return to Slug Guns