Opinion needed: slug barrel with open sights or scope

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
MSHunter

Opinion needed: slug barrel with open sights or scope

Postby MSHunter » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:31 am

Hi everyone. I need some opinions. I'm going to send my handi rifle in to H&R to have it fitted for a slug barrel. Several choices in caliber (12, 20 gauge) and open sights or scope rail are available. I've basically decided on the 20 gauge barrel (I have a 12 gauge slug barrel for my Mossberg), but I can't decide on the type of sights. Please offer your opinions on what you would choose. Thanks.

retiredsailor

RE: Opinion needed: slug barrel with open sights or scope

Postby retiredsailor » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:34 am

I'm not an expert, but I hit the woods every year (35-45 days) and hunt hard with bow and rifle. Been hunting deer for over 40 years. Haven't hunted with a slug gun for many years, but if I were in your situation, I would first consider the type of environment in which I'll usually be hunting. By that I mean, are you likely to by making long shots (100 yards or so)? In that case, I'd seriously consider a scope. I prefer lower power (4X32 or so). If, on the other hand, you are going to be hunting in heavily brush-covered areas, where the typical shot is around 75 yards or less, I'd opt for the open sight.
As I said, this is just my opinion, but something for you to consider.

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:40 pm

RetiredSailor,
Thanks for the input. You gave me a few additional items to consider. I primarily hunt public land and mostly in cover or small open areas. So in lieu of this, I think I'm opting for the open sights. I hoping that I can always have the barrel drilled and tapped in the future should circumstances warrant.

What'd you do in the Navy?

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:05 am

Before we get into suggestions, I've got a question: You already have a Mossberg 12 GA slug barrel.  What do you want to do differently with this Handi-Rifle?

I think that ought to be settled before you place your order.  Is this just a back-up gun?  Is there something you don't like about the Mossy? 

Me?  I had a Rem 1100 with a plain rifle-sighted slug barrel for years, and then I bought my Mossberg 12 GA pump.  A year later Walmart had a rifled slug barrel for the Mossberg that was ridiculously mis-marked, and it was just too good to pass up-- I even went to the manager and asked him flat out if he would sell me the barrel at that price and he looked at me like I had two heads.   To be truthful, I haven't hunted with that slug barrel more than a few times.  It does give me a longer reach, but when I use the Rem 1100 I'm usually in dense cedar thickets, and I'm taking jump-shots at 20 yards-- a scoped long-barreled pump just isn't the right medicine. Do I regret the purchase?  No.  I'm just saying.

Back to your situation.  The Handi-Rifle may give you better accuracy-- don't know for sure. I don't know how good your 12 GA is.  It will certainly give you lighter weight.  If you want a lightweight gun, definitely stick to 20 GA.  Lightweight 12 GA guns are punishing.  Scope?  That depends on your eyes and your range. I've gone to about 90% scoped long guns because my eyes are going bad.  If I had my choice, I'd probably have about 50-50 iron sights.  If you're talking mostly 50-60 yard shots on the top end, I'd stick with irons as long as my eyes would let me.

BTW:  I always try to answer "WHY?" before I do any gun purchase, but "Just cuz" is always a good reason.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

wdkoepke

Postby wdkoepke » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:16 am

it depends to a degree on how well you can see, myself, i wear glasses and i don't do very well lining up the sights and target and shooting, so i use a low power scope, and with that scope i can take shots up to 100 yards in certain areas of our property, you could always get see through scope mounts, and have the best of both worlds

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:34 am

Hi Shaman,
My desire to get the slug barrel for my handi rifle would definitely fall into the "just cuz" category. But with that being said, the handi is lighter to carry around and it gives me another option.

wdkoepke,
Thanks for your suggestion. I have see through sites on my muzzleloader.

bowbrown

Postby bowbrown » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:02 am

I've been slug gun hunting for 20 years and for the longest time I was against a scope on my shotgun. The majority of my families hunting style for gun season is drive hunting so most of the deer are running and close. I ended up getting a good deal on a remington 11-87 with a cantaliver scope mount so I put a nikon 1.65-5 slughunter on it and I love it. I ended up having a 10-15 yard shot with it at a running doe and had no probelm finding her or hitting her. So with a low power scope I don't think you should have any probelm find the deer for a close shot. Just my two cents. Good Luck!

wrk2hunt

Postby wrk2hunt » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:53 am

Maybe its because I had a good experience or dumb luck this year but I would go for the scope. We can use rifles but I am always a driver because i have to milk cows therefore I opt for my 12 gauge. I used to be die hard iron sights but put a tru glo 4x32 scope on this year to go hunting in minnesota sighted in for a 150 yards and I killed 3 deer all running including a dandy 10 pointer all 1 shot kills I absoultly love it. I used the brenneke KOs to sight it in tried some buck hammers and winchesters but the KOs shot the best and were the cheapest so i stuck with them. I have a fully rifled barrel ,choice of ammo I use what works

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:48 am

Open sights or scope???? What about both, I have both barrels and I swear I drove my self crazy with which one to use every time I went out. Finally I got some high rise scope rings and a sight for the end of the barrel. Now when I have a 75yrd plus deer I got the scope close shots 25 or less open sights.

It never failed for me for some reason every time I went out with my scope I had close shots struggling to see through the scope. Open sights I'd have a big buck out of my comfort zone. Last year I put the high rise rings on my scope I saw a nice buck the last day of archery season at 45 yards took my shot gun out the next day openning day of gun. The same buck was 15 yrds from my tree. I'm glad I had the open sights, but it can alway go either way.

Just another oppinion. As far as 12 or 20, well .....personal choice.

Best of luck

retiredsailor

Postby retiredsailor » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:29 am

Spent some 21 years in Cryptology (basically, an arm of communications). Spent most of my years at overseas (shore-duty) stations, but did spend several years on a cruiser in the med.

Glad my suggestions were helpful.

Best of luck on your next hunt.

Next

Return to Guns and Ammo