My slice of heaven :)

vermont backstrap

RE: My slice of heaven :)

Postby vermont backstrap » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:59 pm

Good evening fellow Vermonters! Just happen to be crusin through and read this mail. Wanted DeanoZ to also take a look at a website from a sawmill down near Rutland. I built a horse barn a couple years ago and got all my lumber from Dick Walker. He also has awesome precut hunting cabins and can cut you out whatever you want for a design. His lumber prices were cheaper than anywhere I looked and he was great to work with. Of course I am a DIY type as well, so that was not any issue. I will say that i had very little building experience and his system goes together so easy that it was great and I had NO problems! I would highly recommend you at least look at the website and perhaps call him or visit him. Let me know if any ?'s I think he may be closed in the winter.....here is the link:

http://dickwalkersawmill.com/

good luck!

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:09 am

Hey Vermont Backstrap, thanks for the info, I checked out his website and looks like he might be able to help me out.  I'm somewhat in the same boat as you..actually i have practically no building experience, but I'm somewhat handy.  i'm certain if he had pre-cut hunting cabins I could probably work with that.  I'll definitely check him out.

vermont backstrap

Postby vermont backstrap » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:56 pm

DeanoZ, glad i suggested it......if by chance you do go with walker, and you visit his mill, I am about 2o minutes from the sawmill, if you wanted to stop by to see my barn and get a visual as to how it goes together I would be happy to spend some time with you to explain the engineering to the structure and how it goes together.....Dick will give you some advice, but not alot, I had him come to my house when I had some questions, not sure you would be provided that opportunity being so far away....you can direct email for more convienent contact if need be......annmmahar@netscape.net.......

eemer

Postby eemer » Thu May 27, 2010 8:23 am

Another option, Deano is that since you are planning on doing some clearing, is to have someone with a portable mill, mill you what ever lumber you might need to have the cabin built. There's a lot of hungry contractors around that may give you a good deal as well.

Also, you could get in touch with a forester and maybe fund your project by having your place logged for the cash. Not sure what kind of timber trees you would have on your 4 acres, but hey - it's worth looking into, especiall if you wil be clearing out spots anyway.

Up near Burke Mt. Beautiful area and you may actually be able to use your cell phone there!

Previous

Return to Vermont