To Bottle or Not To Bottle?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
bowhuntr15

To Bottle or Not To Bottle?

Postby bowhuntr15 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:27 pm

It may have been broughtg up in the past, but just curious.   I have some buddies that do not carry a bottle to do "#1" business.  I personally prefer to eliminate just one more scent from the formula of trying to fool a whitetail's nose.  I am just wondering what my hunting community members think. 
"Perseverance, Practice, Integrity"

Ohio farms

RE: To Bottle or Not To Bottle?

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:17 pm

This subject was brought up before. I have always been a bottle guy, but lots of comments were made by those who don't, even to the point of urinating is scrapes. They swear it attracts deer. I continue to use a bottle, not wanting to lean out of my stand.  I do worry less about it now than I did before...who knows what's right.  I can still learn.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Pink

Postby Pink » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:22 pm

I have heard that a deer can't tell the difference between human and any other urine. I had also heard of people urinating in scrapes and bucks will tear em up, so I tried it last year and it works!
After seing that i tried urinating out of my stand, only to have does and bucks walk right to it and nose around. I think it kinda draws em in. Adult does, fawns, and 2 1/2 year bucks only though, not sure what a big boy would do.
Pink

Ifishandhunt

Postby Ifishandhunt » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:24 pm

I don't bring a bottle to do my business in. Usually I will try to take care of business before I leave to hunt and/or I do it before I leave for the stand (by my truck). I am 41 years old and SO FAR have had only one time when I couldn't wait 4 or 5 hours before I had to do my business. I had to go from the tree stand that one time. (I used to be able to spend more than 4 or 5 hours in a tree, but this year it seems that after 4-5 hours, I needed to get down). I never saw a deer that day, but then again there we dozens of other days where I never saw a deer and never peed out the tree. So my scientific experiment was inconclusive [;)]

Ifishandhunt

Postby Ifishandhunt » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:29 pm

Pink,

I've read alot this year about human urine not being a detractor to the deer. As Woods Walker pointed out on other topics, the urine breaks down to uria. The deer will walk up to it without alarm.

deojee1414

Postby deojee1414 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:44 pm

I know guys who are adament "pee in a bottle" guys who refuse to leave scent in the woods and other guys who swear deer are attracted to it. Dont know which is true but i already carry enough stuff in and out of the woods, so until or unless i get burned by it someday i dont see the need to add another item.

SHKYBoonie

Postby SHKYBoonie » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:50 pm

I'm a bottle user for the most part. If I don't have a bottle, I get down and find a stream to do my business in. You will not believe how many deer I have taken on my way to or from a water source. I can count 6 right off hand and all of them where GREAT bucks.

Woods and some of the others had almost convinced me to forget the bottle and use it in scrapes as well. I have a hunting buddy that swears by it. My thing is, I've got a pretty good track record and my buddy that does it hunts the same areas I do with less results. It just goes against everything I have learned my whole hunting career. Less scent = better chances! I am going to do an experiment on it this next year with my trail cameras. I have a few spots I don't hunt but there is always a few good scrapes in that area. We'll see what comes of it. I'll be sure to post about it when I start.
Hunt as though your life depended on it, because one day it just might!

SHKYBoonie

Postby SHKYBoonie » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:56 pm

ORIGINAL: deojee1414

I know guys who are adament "pee in a bottle" guys who refuse to leave scent in the woods and other guys who swear deer are attracted to it. Dont know which is true but i already carry enough stuff in and out of the woods, so until or unless i get burned by it someday i dont see the need to add another item.

Thing is, how do you know you aren't already getting "burned" by it. Unless of course you are killing mature deer on a regular basis. I have had young bucks walk right to me while I was standing in plane sight or walk right through my wind with only a short stop to smell me. Older deer react in much different ways than the younger deer do. Most mature bucks, all you have to do is give them one hint of your presents and they are gone for the entire season. I'm not willing to chance this just yet.
Hunt as though your life depended on it, because one day it just might!

badtoys

Postby badtoys » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:17 am

i read in a book somewhere scientests say deer can't tell one pee from another, i always pee from the tree and have deer walk right through it or by it every year, i've even had a couple times i seen nothing til i was right in the middle of peeing they must have heard it smelled it and came to investagate same thing happens to my friend yearly

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:01 am

I spend a lot of time in the stand . I used to carry a bottle with me until I read an article about it years ago . The Nuge said the 1st thing he did when he got in the stand was to take a whizz !
I never used a bottle after that . I pee from the stand and also in scrapes .
Here is a pic of a button buck at the base of my ladderstand at less than an hour after I pee'd out of it .

Semper Fi !

Next

Return to Best Practices