Iowa Deer Hunt?

soloshooter

Iowa Deer Hunt?

Postby soloshooter » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:46 am

A freind of mine has a possibility of hunting 3 farms in Clinto County, Iowa. The land owner will not charge him for hunting. All we have to worry about is the lodging and meals. By the way that I see it Iowa is a lottery draw for non-resident deer hunting whether it is buck or doe and the non-resident license cost is approx. $550. That will include a Deer lic., Hunting lic. and Habitat fee. Are my calculations correct on the lottery draw and license costs? If it is a lottery draw,what are my odds on getting a lic.? And are there any Hawkeyes out there that can tell me about the Deer population in Clinton County? 

clfenimore

RE: Iowa Deer Hunt?

Postby clfenimore » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:37 am

yes that's about right as for the odds it depends on what unit you are trying to draw in go to http://www.iowadnr.gov/index.html you'll get any info on drawing there as well as a non resident application. as for deer numbers that can vary from one county to another even from one property to another I'd say that was a question you should ask the land owner Good luck on drawing a tag. I've been drawn twice in unit 4 I hunted near Peru which is 30 mi south of des Moines I'm not sure where Clinton county is you can find that out via the website
If a man cant hunt when he's living how the hell will he hunt when he's dead

SHKYBoonie

Postby SHKYBoonie » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:05 pm

I have a hunting buddy that hunts in IA every season. I'm not sure about the unit he hunts but I know it is a farm that borders Lee & Tiffany's farm, one of them anyway. He usually has no problem getting drawn for the late ML season. The amount you posted sounds about right according to him.
Hunt as though your life depended on it, because one day it just might!

clfenimore

Postby clfenimore » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:19 pm

looks like Clinton county is in unit or zone 8 it's on Iowas eastern border by the missippi river clinton county has the Missippi on its eastern border and the Wapsipinicon River on the southern border
If a man cant hunt when he's living how the hell will he hunt when he's dead

Return to Iowa