Left hand project gun

marshhunter

Left hand project gun

Postby marshhunter » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:27 am

I have been reading about the Savage 220f and am really interested in a very accurate 20 gauge slug gun. The major problem is that I shoot left handed and this limits my options to the Browning BPS and the Tarhunt RSG. How accurate will a pump action be? The tarhunt is definately more of what I want but way out of my budget.  I spoke to Savage and they do not do any special orders in left hand of the 220f and I asked about converting a 110 left hand action into a slug gun and was told it was not possible. Does anyone have any ideas? Is there a way I can modify the BPS to shoot more accurately?
Thanks for any help. 

ZEEK

RE: Left hand project gun

Postby ZEEK » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:29 am

I shoot left, and love my New England Fire Arms Ultra Slug Hunter 12ga.(they also have a 20) Very accurate. Heavy, single shot, but very accurate. And it only cost $150.00.
Not knowing where you are going is the best way to get
somewhere you've never been.

J. Peterman.

marshhunter

Postby marshhunter » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:41 am

I have looked at those in both the 12 and the 20 gauge lightweight version. The 12 is just too heavy for me and the lightweight 20 is better but  I would still prefer more than one shot. A great gun but just not sold on it yet.

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:16 am

ORIGINAL: marshhunter

. Does anyone have any ideas? Is there a way I can modify the BPS to shoot more accurately?
Thanks for any help. 

Yes. Have the barrel pinned to the receiver by a gunsmith. That's basically what Tar-Hunt does with their 870 conversion. You can have the gunsmith permentally pin it or make it removable like mine by placing a removable screw in it.
I have my Rem 1100 20ga drilled and tapped with the forward hole on the Weaver mount going all the way through the receiver and barrel sleeve. A removable screw pins both together. To clean or change barrels I remove my scope via quick detach rings, then remove the screw. If yours is just a dedicated slugger then you can have the barrel permentally attached and clean with the barrel on.
Check Ithaca also. They're back in business from a new plant in Ohio.

CB

marshhunter

Postby marshhunter » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:07 pm

Hey CB, Thanks for the Ithaca idea. I totally forgot about them and did not realize they had a Deerslayer 3. This definately goes to the top of my list. A little pricey but I dont have to try to create something. It is already done. Now I just have to save up for awhile.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:49 am

My Browning 20ga...30yr old smooth bore pump shot gun is very accurate....as is my Mossberg turkey gun...both thumb safety and bottom eject in order to handle my being left handed....Now my rifle is a Remington lft hand with monticarlo stock.........

Return to Slug Guns