Seed ordering...lets ban together

msbadger

Seed ordering...lets ban together

Postby msbadger » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:14 am

OK...I just dropped 135.0 on seed...I can't stand it ...NY is such a miserable place to find decent deals....So

Any of you NY posters in the Steuben...Livingston...Ontario area...closer to the lakes...Conesus ...Hemlock ...Honeyoe...want to think ahead to NEXT year ...discuss seeds and plots...ban together and save money on shipping and seed prices ....I'll try to organize a place to meet and time...just E me ...so I can see if there is an interest to proceed 

gjs4

RE: Seed ordering...lets ban together

Postby gjs4 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:29 pm

I am just to your west a bit but know a couple guys after Eagle soys.....email me if you are too...

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:22 am

Well my seed guy called me back...he can't get the tyrone or other 2 forage types I mentionedbut priced out a vining  ag forage /grazing soybean  for me...I'm thinking of going with the less expensive route to start and see results on land before investing 3x the amount for the Eagle plus shipping

soybeans...50#...25.00

Bonar rape..50#..187.50 = 3.75 #

PT turnips..50#...175.0 = 3.50 #

Succra seed Beef bank...25#...60.00 = 2.40

Sweet spot......15#..60.00 = 4.00#

These prices are in line with the Welters and no shipping

Now as far as the sweet spot ...it's a mix of HSG..red and wht clover...turnips...trifoil...and chicory

Beef Bank is 70% HSG's...20% Qiuck draw orchard and 5% Ladino..5% Med red...which you could tweek to be a close comparison the the swt spot for less $

If guys out there can find better pricing in our area I'd like to know and compare...if anyone close would like to divvy up 50# bags..let me know soon and he can call to lock in the seed ..in case of shortages like last year

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:15 am

So here's the deal on the EB soybeans...No dealers in NY...I'm starting to work on that....If we can get ppl together and order 10 bags than we can get reduced shipping cost..either direct or through Maryland dealer...unless you guys know any truckers heading down to Arkansas ...which would be SWEET...Really need to get things in gear before mid March...that's when they ran out last year ..though they've tripled production for this...E or PM me

NYSupersportsman

Postby NYSupersportsman » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:49 am

I was dead set on Eagle seed Soy beans. I was almost ready to order them.  One of my friends who was also going to order them called around to some seed suppliers and found some forage soybeans that were roundup ready for 40 bucks a bag. We were going to pay over 100 per bag with shipping for eagle. As MS said we opted for the cheaper solution first to see what kind of results we get.  The beans I got are made by Asgrow. I cant remember then exact numbers on them but the supplyer is a deer hunter and food plotter and he said they are browse resistant in the early stages and they are roundup ready which is good enough for me as long as I can get them planted in time. Plus we paid no tax and got the inoculant for free. Pretty good deal IMO. I am sure they are not as good as eagle seed. But until we get dealer in NY I think i will shy away from them for that price. 
All in all I am happy. I spent 40 bucks on seed I wont even spend 25 on fertilizer and 25 on spray. So I will spend less than 100 bucks on everything I need and it would have been over 100 for just the seed.  Heck I might even plow up another field I have been thinking about planting.

gjs4

Postby gjs4 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:32 pm

NYS we did the same last year but $45 a bag. They were amazing. BUT- we had (4.5 ac w/ 4.5 ac of corn) them mowed by the end of Sept. You cant fathom the draw of these things.

The Eagles, from research and second hand info, cant be overbrowsed. No comparison to standrad/forage beans. Thats the way I am going for sure; if theyre overinflated in description- trust me; everyone will hear about it.

NYSupersportsman

Postby NYSupersportsman » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:06 pm

I am a bit worried about them getting mowed down too quickly. I will have one acre of beans next to 2 acres of a 5 clover mix, with 7.5 acres of corn just on the other side of the hedgerow. I also have about a 3/4 of an acre spot that connects the corn and beans that I am contemplating putting forage oats.  I hope with the diversity of food i have the deer wont mow down my beans bofore the season starts. But I will give it a try.  If you find a seed dealer that is willing to work with eagle seed. let me know.

gjs4

Postby gjs4 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:26 pm

Everything you read on Eagles say that cant be overbrowsed if 1 acre or more.

Diversity is good in so many ways- I have shifted from the buffet to the chicken or fish menu...

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:01 am

NYS read up on ..."Miloganite"...if top dressed right at planting it should protect the beans..or corn until it gets up and well out of the ground....smell dissipates  with rain...great fertilizer as well.

Buckmaster1100

Postby Buckmaster1100 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:57 am

Can any of you give me address's, email's ,or phone numbers for some of the soybean dealers that you are all talking about. I am looking for a vine type soybean not a ag one that can hold up to heavy browsing. I have 300 acres in Canisteo NY and currently plant corn, clover,turnips and rye & oats on bottom land and food plots that I have in the woods. I have a drill to plant the soybeans and this is my first attempt to plant soybeans. Any help would be great

Next

Return to New York