Pop Up Blinds

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
retiredsailor

RE: Pop Up Blinds

Postby retiredsailor » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:25 pm

I used to have the problem of my pop-up stakes coming up in very high wind, so I bought some regular camping-tent stakes to use instead of the smaller, wire-like stakes that came with the pop-up. You can pick up these types of stakes at any camping store or sporting goods section of larger stores. They can be had in plastic or metal - I prefer the metal ones since they aren't as likely to break while trying to get them in the ground. These larger stakes aren't perfect and they are sometimes hard to get into the ground, and they may even bend a bit, but they are a big improvement with fewer 'blow-overs' experienced.
Also, I don't know about all pop-ups. but the small "Outhouse" that I use, came with several lengths of nylon line to be used to tie them to anchor points such as trees, tree limbs or even small shrubs - if they are available. I've even tied them to a rock a few times. The combination of using the tie-lines and the stakes does make a difference.
Finally, through experience I have learned that if you try to get the stakes into the ground on something near a 45 degree angel, that provides some additional holding power when the high winds hit.

Love my pop-up blind. Son bought me a new one last year, but the 6-year old version that I'm still using continues to serve me well. Had to patch a hole or tear a couple of times and used waxed dental floss, finishing by coloring the floss with a marking pen.

Good luck and keep us informed.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:06 pm

I bought my first Ground Blind from the Sportsmans Guide,it was a very good Blind (Hunters Den from Hunters View I think?) and have plenty of neat features and plenty of room for my Daughter and Myself to hunt out of.It has the shoot-thru windows,2 tri-angled openings in the top for opening up and letting air in when it gets a little hot inside and it had 4 velcro squares you can flip up to show some Hunter Orange squares for safety purposes.I had it blow over several times when we got some really bad storms and I wasn't able to go out and take it down,I ended up doing like several Guys here and ended up buying the heavier tent stakes you can hammer into the ground.The wind and weather finally took its toll on my old Blind so I went to Orschlen's and bought a bigger Yukon Blind from River's Edge thats was on sale for around $80.00 plus tax.If your wanting a resonably priced Blind check out several of different styles and design's of Blind at www.sportsmansguide.com or shop around and You may find a good one that was on display cheaper at a local Sporting Goods Store?

When I set my blind up I take a bottle of Scent-killer with me and when I finally get it all ready and brushed it with the local tree branches,cedar tree limbs and tall Barn grass I spray it down real good and hope for some rain to help clean the scent off even more!

Woodsalta made a good point about wondering if a Ground Blind had the UV Brighteners on them.???? I could take a few pictures of my Blind with my Moultrie I-60 Trail Camera at night and see what the pictures look like if the material glows or not?I have noticed on some of my Camo Hunting Clothes would show a "Glow" on certain new Jackets and misc material late in the evening when I checked my trail camera and the IR Flash went off....so I washed them with the UV-Killer soap and it kept the clothes from looking bright! 

soloshooter

Postby soloshooter » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:12 am

ORIGINAL: Lot to Learn 2

I have not tried this but I really think it will work for knocking the must off. Take a hose end sprayer and put the same laundry detergent you wash your clothes in, little will go long way, I have cleaned throw rugs like this. I am going to try this, same thing for decoys. 

I hope that your using the detergent for your hunting clothes and not regular laundry soap. Regular laundry soap has UV brighteners.

retiredsailor

Postby retiredsailor » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:56 am

I use an Ameristep small pop-up as I mentioned earlier in this discussion regarding ground stakes etc.
Another item I'd like to mention is that each year, during a hot summer day, I set mine up
in the yard and give it a good spray with a water repellent, usually 3M water proofing.
Let it set out for a while to dry good before putting it away. Hadn't really considered the scent impact of this,
but I've been doing it for years and still see and harvest my share of deer while hunting out of my pop-up,
so I suspect there is no lingering scent by the time hunting season rolls around.

John1961

Postby John1961 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:39 am

As for scent I agree with everyone here. I have used one for a few years now. I do set mine up about a month before season starts. A friend has one and he says he takes a tail from a deer he killed the year before and hangs in in a tree near by. Says it turns the deers attention away from the blind. Im going to try that this year.

As for folding the thing. I can never fold the thing the first few tries but the first time I opened it was in our living room and stuff flew off shelve and every where else. And boy was she mad.  LOL
John
U.S. Army Retired and Proud American
Black Water Hunting Club
" BUY AMERICAN "

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:29 pm

I have been looking for new poles for my pop-up blind since the original poles were damaged in heavy winds last year. Cabelas doesn't carry replacement poles even though the blind has their name on it. I was about to just buy another blind when I came across "Texsport replacement tent poles" at Bass Pro Shop. There are 4- 27 inch sections with 5/16" diameter to each pole and they come with shock cord and everything.You just cut them to the needed length and assemble the sections. They're about 10 bucks apiece, but it sure beats buying a new blind (I already have four). If anyone else out there has bent or broken poles on their blind, this is the best fix I've been able to find

flatpicker

Postby flatpicker » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:52 am

I use a ground blind and love it. I video tape my hunts and you can relaxe a better which keeps you in the woods longer. I set my blind up 3 months before season and the deer are use to seeing it there and smelling it. When you set it up in the woods say in May take some "Buck Bomb" with you and spray the out side down with it.
Veteran Flatpicking Guitar Player
www.jdsguitars.com

retiredsailor

Postby retiredsailor » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:29 am

Hey John1961........that bit about folding up the pop-up brings to mind a few times I've been folding mine in high wind. It's like wrestling, and several times I felt it was winning.
Whenever that occurs, I always hope there is nobody else nearby watching.
By the way....what does the 1961 in you ID stand for? Just curious since I joined the
Navy in 1961.

kellory

Re: Pop Up Blinds

Postby kellory » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:47 pm

I use the Ameristep doghouse blind(reversable) comes in a varity of patterns. I have corn stalks and high grass on one side and mossyoak breakup on the reverse. It has two zippers that you open, pop the sides inverse, and rezip then install roof poles. Presto! new pattern! It has tie downs at the corners, four stake holes at corners, Hunter orange camo top to add with bungees for gun season. Shoot through mesh windows for bow only(yes, they ARE flamable) Total cost ordered in for me with my choice of paired patterns was less than $200. I think it was around $180. It does have a full floor, so a rock in the corners would keep it in place with no problem, However, the stakes that come with it are the wire type. 45 degrees does hold well most of the time, but I have found aluminum gutter spikes to work very well with very little wieght. Everything comes in bags. the stakes have a bag and a zippered pocket in the carry bag, and the poles have thier own bag.Very nice blind and works well for two people. I drop a scent leaf in the carry bag when I put it away (frech earth) and that is what I smell when I deploy it. Hope it helps.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

gatodoc

Re: Pop Up Blinds

Postby gatodoc » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:01 pm

kellory wrote:I use the Ameristep doghouse blind(reversable) comes in a varity of patterns. I have corn stalks and high grass on one side and mossyoak breakup on the reverse. It has two zippers that you open, pop the sides inverse, and rezip then install roof poles. Presto! new pattern! It has tie downs at the corners, four stake holes at corners, Hunter orange camo top to add with bungees for gun season. Shoot through mesh windows for bow only(yes, they ARE flamable) Total cost ordered in for me with my choice of paired patterns was less than $200. I think it was around $180. It does have a full floor, so a rock in the corners would keep it in place with no problem, However, the stakes that come with it are the wire type. 45 degrees does hold well most of the time, but I have found aluminum gutter spikes to work very well with very little wieght. Everything comes in bags. the stakes have a bag and a zippered pocket in the carry bag, and the poles have thier own bag.Very nice blind and works well for two people. I drop a scent leaf in the carry bag when I put it away (frech earth) and that is what I smell when I deploy it. Hope it helps.

I'Ve got a one man chair blind I'm going to set up just inside a pine thicket next to a gassy feeding area. It has no floor so I'm going to rake the area under it done to bare earth and dump a bag on cedar shavings designed for dog houses on the ground under it. The darned thing has a small space and I'm sure the cedar smell will be strong, but I like the smell and maybe it'll help whatever scent I'm producing. If nothing else, it's a cheap try.I guess hunters will try anything.....

Previous

Return to Best Practices