Minnesota DNR to convene multi-state meeting on lead fragments in venison

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Corey Graff

Postby Corey Graff » Fri May 30, 2008 10:01 am

Wildlife, public health and food safety experts from five states will meet in Minnesota next week for the purpose of helping regulators, hunters and processors better understand the implications of lead fragments in hunter-harvested deer.

The meeting, hosted by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR), will be held Wednesday, June 4, in Bloomington.

"This is the beginning of a regional effort to develop consistent programs and recommendations based on the best professional judgment of public health, agricultural and natural resources officials and scientists," said Dennis Simon, DNR wildlife section chief. "Minnesota is taking a leadership role because we understand how important this topic is to so many different people."

Lead fragments found in venison donated by hunters last fall resulted in recalls of some of the meat from food shelves in Minnesota and North Dakota due to the unknown health risks associated with consumption of lead particles. No illnesses have been linked to consumption of fragments from lead ammunition but officials in both states opted to err on the side of caution.

Simon said invitations have been sent to wildlife, public health and agricultural agency representatives in Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa and Wisconsin. Representatives from the hunting industry and hunting organizations also have been invited.

Each state will review the status of its venison donation program, which typically allows hunters to donate deer to food shelves, and identify potential guidelines for management of venison donation programs this fall.
Participants also will discuss developing recommendations to guide hunters in the processing and consumption of their own venison as well as identify additional research and information about lead fragments that may be needed.

"Our expectation is that this is a working meeting that will produce a better understanding of current efforts concerning lead fragments in venison," Simon said. "We want to identify future needs, provide guidance to hunters and processors and develop a consensus on the core elements of a uniform communication effort that will enable our respective deer management and venison donation programs to remain viable."

vambo991

RE: Minnesota DNR to convene multi-state meeting on lead fragments in venison

Postby vambo991 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:17 pm

I'm not sure how to respond to this... If it was California I would understand, but Minnesota? I guess lead has been linked to some type of cancer and also can cause reproductive harm if it's in your blood for extended periods. California has had a stiffy for lead for quite some time. All of the stickers that say "this item may contain a substance known to cause cancer and/or reproductive harm"... you can thank California. I want a research scientist to show me data that explains how a lead projectile that I used to kill a deer ended up in a child's blood stream for extended periods, causing cancer. It'll never happen.

California used some lame excuse like "lead build-up in the soil from bullets is potentially toxic", so they banned all lead bullets. Are they kidding? They just got one more type of ammunition banned, by using the "public health" excuse. I got news for you, California, ask your researchers what would happen if you had high levels of copper in your blood for extended periods. DUH! Most metals are toxic at high levels. Jeez, high levels of sodium kill people every day in this country. So do high levels of stupidity. 

One of these days, California, you will win and no one in your state will legally be able to own firearms. Everything will be joy and peace and love and banned firearms will simply be a "thing of the past" just like other banned items like...OH...I don't know...Cocaine, maybe. After all, banning cocaine sure made the thugs and crooks stop using and selling, didn't it! I'd bet that most judges and politicians from California don't really want cocaine to go away ENTIRELY anyway (wink wink). Grow up, knuckleheads, and realize that you're not taking OUR guns. NRA ROCKS!

scotman

Postby scotman » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:58 pm

Each state will review the status of its venison donation program, which typically allows hunters to donate deer to food shelves, and identify potential guidelines for management of venison donation programs this fall.

I have been a butcher for 15 years, I worked for a meat processing plant and butchered deer for the public. I could definately see some quality control in order to minimize any risk of the lead in deer meat. The way they performed quality control in a meat plant is to have a trained Quality Control Inspector inspect the meat and check for any possible contamination and keep a daily log of it. The training consisted of a series of DVD's on what to look for and how to take and test meat samples.

I'm not sure if there is a "at site test" that you could do to check for lead in meat samples, instead of having to send it out to  a lab? Which is quite expensive if a test has to be sent to a lab. I am not suggesting hiring a QCI to inspect deer meat but definately a training dvd of some sort should be sent to  these venison donation programs.
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:24 am

I dont blame them for wanting to look into this. I mean, it can cause problems, but people should know the risk. There def can't be enough in meat to harm you, i wouldnt think, but if they find a way of getting rid of it then that helps everyone. Really, I think if people know the risk, then dont worry about it. Deer have shot with lead bullets forever, nothing bad has come of it.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:42 am

The man who said the lead was in deer meat is a known anti-lead activist,and he also suppled the meat to the state of N.D. that was tested.   I could understand the state goverments, not wanting people eating free deer meat, they don't want anything free for anyone at all anyway.  The state of IA, has tested their donated meat and 500,000 people for lead poisening,and found absolutely nothing wrong with the pantry meat in that state. I do agree processers need to be regulated better, they do not take the care in butchering the deer ,as I do personaly. In my opinion this is a well conceived plan to make lead ammo look bad in the lime light of the country, serving the anti-lead agenda of the peregrine club,and is only a minor set back to the image of hunters feeding the needy. I'll take wild game shot with lead over any confinement farm animal meat anyday.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

Return to Breaking News